General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0783 3-4 Shift Malfunction 06 Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:41 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0783 3-4 Shift Malfunction 06 Supercharged

Greetings!

I have an 06 Supercharged Vogue with almost 51k miles. Last week, I got the dreaded "Transmission Fault - Limited Gears" message and shortly thereafter, the Check Engine light popped on. I took a look at the transmission and noticed it was leaking. It turned out to be a faulty O ring, which was repaired. The transmission was drained (no metal filings or anything scary in the used fluid), flushed, and topped off with genuine RR tranny fluid. It was fine for a couple of days, but the Limited Gears fault and the check engine light are back.

Upon running a diagnostic, the P0783 3-4 Shift Malfunction appears. I've had a couple of techs tell me it is probably a solenoid, and that is certainly what the fault indicates. With the exception of the car putting itself into limp mode when it detects the fault, it drives very smoothly. I've driven a car with a genuine tranny fault before and definitely knew it.

Does anyone have any guidance? Is it probably the solenoid?

UPDATE - Just went out for a quick spin. The car had been sitting for about 3 hours and the check engine light turned off by itself. If the past few days are anything to go by, I feel like it will be back on soon enough though. What does everyone think this is?

Last edited by Senator Walley; 08-31-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lets start with some basics here..

1)Check your battery terminals. Make sure they are not loose or corroded.
You need to remove them from the battery to check anyway so now is a good time to clean them. Have the battery tested, Is it the original battery? Even if it tests good, if it is the original battery (you can tell this by the Land Rover logo on it) Replace it.
Low battery voltage can cause all kinds of instrument pack warnings at start up.

Do you notice a shift issue from 3-4 at highway speed?

2) inspect your tire wear. especially your front tires. tire size and tread depth should be the same. if the tread depth is more than a few XX/32 inch difference the front wheel speed will be different (more than 1kph)and cause a no shift issue at highway speed from 3-4.

3)Recheck the trans fluid level. Heres the proper procedure
  1. The gearbox fluid level must only be checked when the temperature of the fluid is between 30 degrees and 50 degrees. The fluid level obtained will be incorrect if the reading is outside this temperature range.
  2. Remove the transmission fluid filler/level plug.
  3. Clean the area around the filler/level plug
If no fluid loss is apparent when the filler/level plug is removed, with the engine at idle, continue to fill the transmission until a small thread of oil runs from oil filler/level hole.

Last edited by threalassmikeg; 09-02-2012 at 08:16 AM.