General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P38 alarm

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:16 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P38 alarm

Few week before, I brought P38-range rover 4.6 HSE-2000 model with only one key with non working remote and no EKA code. During the first week, it worked fine but then the RR occasionally super-locks itself or may be getting in "i am stolen" mode with the alarm LED flashing at the dashboard.

when tried to unlock with the key, only the driver door unlocks and "Engine Disabled - use Remote" is shown at the message center when tried to start the engine. Randomly rotating the key to lock/unlock positions disarms the alarm system and flashing LED stops. But it takes some time extending from minutes to hours and even a day once.

Considering it may be due to radio interference, I have disconnected RF receiver and checked all the wiring and fuses which all look good. Also tried the generic EKA but all in vain.

Can anybody suggest some permanent solution without involving any specialized equipment or someway to permanently disabling the alarm system.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If turning the key sometimes disarms, and sometimes does not, you's most likely looking at the drivers door latch beginning to fail. Replace that and you should be ok.

I strongly suggest getting another key with a working remote, as the truck needs to either see a valid unlock request from the key, or from the door latch in order for it to be able to start.

Does the LED light up on the key when you press the button? If so, then you may be able to sync it to the car after the latch is replaced.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 AM
6th Gear

Thanks, I will try to find and replace the door latch and hopefully then the remote will be resynchronizes.
But still is there any way to permanently disarm the alarm system like by some fuse or relay.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

There is no way to disable alarm in a DIY fashion. Modules are programmed to exchage data with each other at every crank attempt. It is called immobilization. There may be a method to "un-program" it with a shop level computer, ask your indy shop. Alarm systems could be customized for options in different parts of the world. Perhaps one option is "not fitted". I would advide unplugging the hood alarm switch. If your battery dies while vehicle is locked, and you jump off truck, without depressing that switch, alarm wakes up, thinks it is under attack, and locks things down. And it will want to speak with a remote.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

might help http://www.alarmremotes.co.uk/id67.html

Last edited by drowssap; 05-14-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:01 AM
6th Gear

I have talked with the dealer and they said it may only be the programming of the remote but when I last checked the vehicle with diagnostic comp, it shows the faulity crank shaft sensor. Can it be because of that, also I have been observing for the last few days that the vehicle works fine during day time and there is no blanking light on dashboard but from evening till morning, the light on the dashboard blinks and the prob is present.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The crank shaft sensor has a tip that is very close to a slotted disk, which flies by as flywheel turns. The slots make an electrical signal that is used to time the sparks. If the sensor fails, no spark. Typical problems start by reports of can't crank back up after parking for short time (engine block warm). When engine cools, it starts working again. Don't think the two items (alarm and crank position sensor) are related.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 AM
6th Gear

I have talked with the dealer and they said it may only be the programming of the remote. When I last checked the vehicle with diagnostic comp, it shows the faulity crank shaft sensor. Can it be because of that. Also I have been observing for the last few days that the vehicle works fine during day times (temp in range of 45℃ or 110℉) and there is no blanking light on dashboard but from evening till morning, the light on the dashboard blinks and the prob is present.
Can anybody suggest what it might be.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's the latch. The key being 'programmed' would take care of that, however that can not be done with a bad latch.

The crank sensor would give you a cranking no start, not an 'engine disabled' message.

The way to test to see if the latch is working, is put the windows half the way down, get out of the car, turn and hold the key to 'lock'. If the windows go up, the BeCM is getting the signal it needs from the latch. It is two separate signals for lock and unlock request, and a disarm request. The latch can fail in a way that it is able to send the unlock, and unlock all the doors, but not send the disarm signal. The disarm signal is what is used to synchronize the remote.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM
6th Gear

So if it's not crank shaft sensor than back to alarm prob but still anybody can tell why is the difference between day and night time

Quick Reply: P38 alarm