General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please read

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008 | 10:21 AM
|
Drifting
Default please read

hi, i am 16 years and i drive a 96 range rover 4.0 se. it has too many problems to talk about. i want to sell it and get another range rover from the year 99-02. my dad doesnt like range rovers because of what he hears about them and the unbelivable cost it takes to get them fixed. i really love range rovers and that is why i want another. my dad wants me to get like a jeep or blazer or something like that. whatever kind of cari get he doesnot want to spend over $5,000 for it. since range rovers are the only cars i like besides a ford f-150, should i get another range rover or would it be my best bet to get a normal american made car. im afraid that if i sell the range rover i got now, then it will be along long time before i get another if i settle for a diffrent car after i sell mine. if i get anothe rover i will only use it to go to school and up to my mothers house in north carolina which is 4 hours from where i live every other weekend. but in the summer i will use it more. please help me out on this one.

Old 02-01-2008 | 11:47 AM
Winching
Default RE: please read

Do what I did, get both

On a serious note, I can't think of a way you'd get a 99-01 Range for only $5,000. Also, I can't imagine Blue Book on a 96 Rover with mechanical issues would go for much either. My argument would be for keeping the Rover, and getting that Blazer, or find a 4Runner, something that has high milage (low cost) but will still last through the miles.

Old 02-01-2008 | 08:55 PM
3rd Gear

I drive a 2001 4.6 HSE RR which my boss used to own and now it is one of the company fleet.

I bought a 2001 F350 diesel two years ago and the support, advice and help for fixing problems found on the Ford Truck forums is outstanding.

Get the Ford.

Old 02-02-2008 | 08:13 AM
Drifting

Your dad is a smart man. Listen to him and put aside the thinking that you'll look cooler in a Range Rover. Get something cool but dependable. When you get out of college and get a good paying job, then you can get your new RR. You won't find a RR for $5K and if you do, you'll need to spend another $5K in it to keep it running. If you're planning on making a 4 hour drive every other weekend to your mom's place and you want the 99-02 model, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that you will encounter EAS problems and most likely be far from home and I would doubt that NC has many dealerships or mechanics to bail you outwhen you do have problems. If your dad will be paying for the car and maintenance on it, do him a favor and get something more dependable. Learn from you own lessons with your 96 4.0 ...too many problems to deal with? You will have the same issues with a slightly newer one. I guess I don't understand why someone would want to sell an upkeep nightmare only to get another upkeep nightmare (unless you're an enthusiast and I don't think you are). But good luck with whatever you decide. You know what you want and when I was your age, I was the same way. I just wish I would have listened to my dad more often when he advised me against makingignorant decisions.

Pads Fan

Old 02-02-2008 | 05:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Hey Roverboy, i'd listen to your Pops if i were you. Range Rovers, as beautiful & classy-looking they are, they are not the most reliable & cost efficient vehicles on the road. You definitely need to get a more reliable vehicle for the miles that your gonna put on it, because a Range at $5,000 is NOT going to get you anywhere but to the shop. Get that Jeep or Blazer for now,then when your pockets are deep enough to maintain it,get another Rover. Trust me, ifeel ya when you said "range rovers are the only cars i like", butthese trucks are better managed when they're your secondary vehicle. At your age, dump the unnecessary weight and pick it back up when you can handle it.

Old 02-05-2008 | 07:46 AM
Mudding

food for thought: if you have the location and tools, consider finding another 1996 40se as a parts car and fix up what you have... sell off the parts you don't need. You know your rover... Don't be as dependent on parts suppliers -- become the source. Some of the best moves I've made with cars have been getting good parts cars.

You would think the Jeep would be cheaper -- however, in my experience a heavily used Jeep is almost as expensive to repair and maintain and far less dependable. The difference is the lack of planning that is needed for Jeep parts. My Wrangler had worse engineering problems and more items breaking on it on a monthly basis than my RRC has and I run the Rover 5 times harder off-road.

My buddy got a cherokee 4.0l 4x4 and wanted to run with us. after numerous repairs he finally spent the big bucks and had 5K of suspension work and 3K of tires put on it. in the end -- the axles wouldn't articulate more than 12". He looked cool but still couldn't run hills/rocky areas with us -- he drove around. I like the look of his jeep but you would hope $10K could correct everything on a jeep.

Old 02-05-2008 | 07:49 AM
Mudding

see if your dad will help you part out a 1996 -- builds memories.

If he knows jeeps or blazers better -- go with those models. parts are cheaper.

Old 02-05-2008 | 09:54 AM
Winching

Woo hoo! Blazers FTW!

Old 02-08-2008 | 01:09 AM
Mudding

Lots of good advice here (fromyour Pops too) Get an Explorer, something - but any Rover you find for $5k is going to be nothing but headaches.