General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with brand new car

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:13 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with brand new car

Hi,

I bought a 2011 sport supercharged in Oct 2011. Because of the droughts in Texas, I did not have an opportunity to drive it in the rain until the end of November (at that point I had about 3500k miles on it). In moderate to heavy rain, the vehicle fishtailed all over the road nearly going off more times than I would like to recall. I couldn't change lanes without the entire back end going squirrely on me. I had people looking at me like I was drunk or something. This went on for my entire four hour drive home. I was easliy being passed by every kind of car imaginable in small town East Texas. They looked at me like I was an alien!

So, I called the dealership and they had me bring it in a week later to see if they could fix the problem (even though they flat out told me the didn't think they would find anything wrong with the vehicle and it was just me). So I leave the vehicle with them and get a call four hours later telling me there is something wrong with it and they will need to keep it another day. They measured the entire suspension system but found nothing. They did notice some "feathering" of the rear driver side tire. They finally decided that the vehicle was so maligned that it could cause the fishtailing. So they aligned the car and I went on about my way waiting for the next rain.

Three weeks later, the low tire pressure notice came on for the tire in question. Upon looking at the tire, I noticed the tread was nearly gone on the inside of the tire (at this point it was at about 5k miles). The car did handle fine in the rain which was a huge relief, but now we had another set of problems. So, I made another appt with the dealer and retold them the problems. We left the vehicle with them a week to give them plenty of time to figure something out. When we returned to pick it up, we were told again that it was an issue with the alignment calibration and that they realigned it and replaced the two rear tires. This time the numbers were just .02 out off range of normal (didn't seem bad enough finish demolishing tires in 1k miles). After picking it up yesterday and driving it today, the vehicle now pulls left rather quickly. It will change langes for me...I just put on my blinker and let got of the wheel! They cant even tell me if they test drove it after the many alignments performed. So tomorrow we go back to the dealership for the fourth time in as many months as we have owned it.

I guess my question here is: has anyone ever heard of any of this or have any ideas? It seems that if a vehicle billed as the most capable off-road vehicle is so sensitive to alignment, it would need to be a Hovercraft to prevent it from getting knocked out of alignment. I truthfully dont feel like the alignment is the problem, I feel like it is a symptom of a bigger problem. Any help would be appreciated. I love the car, but I have to have a consistent, reliable car.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ten bucks says the rear toe arms are bent. I bet who ever shipped the vehicle hooked on them. Seen it before. same issue and it did the same thing.

Run it by a sears or someone else to get an idea of what its supposed to look like.