General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover BeCM

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:28 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Rover BeCM

I bought a becm for a 2000 4.6 HSE from Motorcars ltd in Texas. They said it was flattened and unlocked and tested. The Land Rover dealer in Monterey, CA. tried to program it and said it would turn over but not start and that the key fobs worked. They claim that the becm I bought is for an earlier model vehicle and that is why it doesn't work. I then called Texas and relayed this information.

Texas told me, "OK, we'll find you the right one." So then I told them that I didn't think it was fair that I have to pay for the labor because they sent the wrong part. Then I talked to their supervisor and he said, " No, it's the right one, it just needs to be programed right. " Then the Texas tech called the Monterey tech and told him how to program it and the tech in Monterey said he did it that way but said the problem is that the unit is for an earlier model and it will not work in my car.

I'm $500 in labor and $800 for the part into it and both sides are saying they are right. Texas says the unit is fine they just need to program it right. Monterey says they programed it right, it's the wrong part.

1.) If it is the wrong part, could they get the key fobs programed and the car to turn over.

2.) If it is the wrong part, shouldn't they have known that before they installed it by the part #'s not matching ?

3.) Is there enough information here to determine if either party is negligent ?

4.) Has anyone had a similar situation ? How did you resolve it ?

Thanks !

Old 06-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Range Rover BeCM

Ive never tried to replace a becm on one of these cars with a used part. The programing invoves entering certain information about the vehicle, such as vin, build date and eka code, if memory seves me correctly. once this info is entered and programmed it cannot be changed. so you must be certain you have the correct info.I dont know how they "unlock" used becms, but have heard your story before. I would check with the dealer $500 is too much to pay for the replacement and programing alone,It take 2 hours max. And work with the part supplier to arrange fora replacement. good luck, let us know how it goes!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Range Rover BeCM

what year is the car... as long as the becm is for a bosch car, youre fine, ie, to go into a +99my car, has to be a +99my becm, if the remotes are working that means that the lockset barcode is in, so its programed right, or at least mostly right, is it at a dealership? there is always also the possibility of it being the wrong diag, and not needing, or not only needing, the becm. it sounds like the immobilization code has not been synched up with the ecm, this will cause it to crank but not fire, they should know to do this if they know what theyre doing