General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RR VS LR3

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 02:21 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RR VS LR3

I am thinking about getting a new Land Rover and seeing how they do. I have been a Jeep owner for many years and I have owned several, still I am very curious to see which one will prove to be better. Anyway, the question I have or I guess the point I wish to make is concerning the new LR3 compared to the Range Rover. I love the Ranger Rover size but with the new features of the LR3 I am finding it hard to justify spending the extra $25,000 or so on the Range Rover. Maybe I am missing something here but hasn't Land Rover sort of cut their throat with this deal? Of course I realize that many more LR3's will be sold than RR's but how does Land Rover justify the price difference with so many more features and capabilities on the LR3? I know the sport will have the Terrain Response System but what about the full size? If they put the Terrain Response and rear locker on the full size RR then I doubt I would be asking any of these questions or making any of these points. Has anyone heard any info about these systems being applied to the RR? Also...any new info on the new Defender models or when they will be out? US models that is.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:20 PM
Drifting
Default RE: RR VS LR3

Well one thing you should take into consideration is whether you are dealing with 05 or 06 Range Rovers. I think the 06 gets the newer engine and transmission that the LR3 has, and don't quote me on this, but I think it will make the Range Rover less thirsty, but like I said, I don't know that for sure. Also, one thing to remember is that the "Range Rover Sport" is actually based on the LR3, that's why the interior looks more like an LR3 than a Range Rover, and my guess is that's why it has the terrain response business too. When I sat in a Range Rover (which was on 05) I too couldn't "justify" spending that much more money (OK so I couldn't justify my parents spending that much more money) but it sure was ridiculously nice. I thought it was more fun to drive than the LR3 too. If you are a person who enjoys that, how shall we say, "status symbol" that the Range Rover offers, it may be worth it to you. Some day I'd like to afford one, but for now I'm really too infatuated with my parents LR3. Oh, and one more thing that would be nice about the Range Rover...living in Phoenix it has become apparent to me that the plastic moldings of the LR3 will not look very good for very long under the beating sun. There is not as much plastic on the Range Rover, so that would be nice. I think you just get what you pay for. The Range Rover is more comfortable, more fun (to me) and more elegant. But the LR3 is certainly a luxury SUV in its own way. Have you considered the Range Rover Sport? Looks nice to me.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:43 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the reply. You made some pretty insightful points. I have considered the the RR Sport but if I go that small then I definately will go with the LR3. I'm going to wait until I have a chance to try out the new Jeep Commander coming out. That Jeep is getting real close to meeting my present needs an wants. I'm sort of torn between sticking with Jeep and trying Land Rover. Status doesn't really matter much to me but quality and ability does. I think Jeep's Quadra Drive II sort of has an edge on the LR3 traction control system but I think that the LR3 certainly has the Jeep beat in other areas. If I want more clearance I am going to have to put a small lift on the Jeep. The LR3 gives me and my wife a lower sitting vehicle for every day use but added ground clearance when needed. Such things I am just going to have to weigh out I suppose. I may be wrong but I think that the main difference between Jeep and Land Rover, as far as offroad ability anyway, is that Jeep has always attacked offroad situations and the Land Rover has sort of worked with them. The two come from the same roots but I think their concept of designing offroad vehicles sort of went in two different directions. Either way, they are the only two SUV manufacturers that I would even consider.

Old 06-24-2005, 02:58 AM
Drifting

No problem. But isn't the Range Rover actually smaller than the LR3? Maybe not, but I guess I just assumed that since the LR3 and Disco had 3rd row seats that they were bigger. Hmmmmm, no, you're right, looks like the Range Rover is about 5 inches longer, inch and a half wider, and almost an inch taller. The Jeep Commander actually really seems cool to me and I'm not at all a Jeep guy.