General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softdash LWB: should I freak out and buy it now?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015 | 09:48 PM
Camel Trophy

Ah, I see where your going now. Kinda interesting to think about. Do you have any examples of that swap, if so I'd sure like to check em out.

Old 03-29-2015 | 09:53 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Don't forget the BCM controlling your windows, sunroof, seats, lights, climate control, oh hell everything inside. Remember no locking the diff in a BW transfer case. So upgraded diffs and functional traction control are going to be very important.

RRC has all the same goodies maybe not as advanced but in a much more reliable way.
I actually typed all that out and then let it go because we could open a new thread on just this type of swap. I think almost everything the BeCM does could be controlled by switches/relays but there may end up being a butt load of em...... It is a really interesting concept though. I've been reading on MegaSquirt all weekend, my eyeballs will never be the same. Diving in, gonna be a MS guru someday.

Old 03-29-2015 | 10:12 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Don't forget the BCM controlling your windows, sunroof, seats, lights, climate control, oh hell everything inside. Remember no locking the diff in a BW transfer case. So upgraded diffs and functional traction control are going to be very important.

RRC has all the same goodies maybe not as advanced but in a much more reliable way.
Yeah I know the RRC is technically the more mechanical/reliable one. But it's going to be a big puzzle piece to our family (and soon kid) so I have to concede some things to my better half.
And I won't necessarily be complaining to be in the cockpit of a LR branded BMW interior (almost everything about it reminds me of my E39 540i/6. Some of the parts are even the same. )

Is the BW case an open diff or viscous LSD? As an overland rig I'll at most be interested in a pair of trutracks. I've not once needed to lock the diff off road in my disco.

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Ah, I see where your going now. Kinda interesting to think about. Do you have any examples of that swap, if so I'd sure like to check em out.
Yeah I've been planning on it for the D1 for over a year, and suddenly realized I should probably consider other (nicer/larger) options for a donor. Fully mechanical N/A diesel engine - nearly the same power/tq numbers and redline as the 4.0 - and fully hydraulic 4hp22 transmission paired with the BW case might actually be a pretty awesome drivetrain while keeping all the creature comforts and, imo, good looks of the P38 @ ~28mpg!

Here's the prototype tranny adaptor plate for the diesel-ZF conversion:

Attached Thumbnails Softdash LWB: should I freak out and buy it now?!-screen-shot-2015-03-29-8.12.11-pm.png  
Old 03-30-2015 | 07:28 AM
Pro Wrench

Grab it. Overland =simplicity. P38=complex. RRC =simple. The math is simple. I am a fan of the P38 but not it's dependence on it computers. Seems you can't fart in there with out the computers permission. That's why hardly anyone does a driveline swap on them. You'd probably have to keep the original sensors and harness to fool the truck into thinking it was still running a 4.0

Old 03-30-2015 | 07:36 AM
Pro Wrench

My BW transfer case is great. It's quiet. It's easy to use. But the viscous coupling scares me. I've put a new chain in mine. It still makes me worry that one small part can stop me dead. The LT230 is a much better choice for overlanding.

Old 03-30-2015 | 04:47 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Grab it. Overland =simplicity. P38=complex. RRC =simple. The math is simple. I am a fan of the P38 but not it's dependence on it computers. Seems you can't fart in there with out the computers permission. That's why hardly anyone does a driveline swap on them. You'd probably have to keep the original sensors and harness to fool the truck into thinking it was still running a 4.0
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Just how interconnected are the various computers? From my research it seems at least up to a certain year they were still being fitted with the 4hp22 transmission, which has no computer controls at all. I gather the suspension ECU is independent of the driveline computer too.

Old 03-30-2015 | 04:59 PM
Pro Wrench

It is my understanding the computers are all intertwined. Meaning a failure in one (or elimination of one) causes the others to malfunction. BUT I'm not an expert on P38's at all. I've worked on a few for various reasons. I may be completely wrong. So maybe try starting a new thread about engine/driveline swapping in the General tech or Modification section. More people may see it. As you can see the RR section is a bit quiet.

Old 03-30-2015 | 05:36 PM
|
Mudding

SO turns out it can, and has, been done!

Here's the full thread. I have some reading to catch up on.

Old 03-31-2015 | 12:38 AM
Pro Wrench

Great info. Spent the last hour reading. It seems you'd also be doing a Trans swap as well

Old 03-31-2015 | 12:05 PM
|
Mudding

Yeah I haven't gotten that far into it yet. Looks like the first attempt used the 4hp22, which I know works well in this conversion on Discos and RRC's.

Quick Reply: Softdash LWB: should I freak out and buy it now?!