General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRS Light will not go OFFFFF!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SRS Light will not go OFFFFF!

Manual reads just bring it in to the dealership. Have any of your vehicles done SRS light stay on to the point of being an annoyance? Can this be fixed by do it yourselfers. This is the first time it has occurred in 88,000 miles. Any help is always appreciated.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has been on for the last 50k miles. I don't even notice it anymore. I did all the usual checking of connections and all that stuff but never found the issue. It doesn't bother me anymore.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If SRS light is on, air bags may not work in a crash. Look at your face in the mirror. Want to keep that devilish charm? Now what about your front seat passenger? You know how maniacs drive on I-95...

Point is, the light is on, you are taking a risk (your face, not my ugly mug), and the dealer computer will talk to the airbag modules. Regular code reader can't talk to it.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Rock Crawling

Ok thanks for the info. Thought there maybe a trick that owners knew that the dealers didn't, but looks like this time the rover has to go in for a check up. I wonder if the light goes on after 10 years of service monoriting. Mercedes asks owners to have their air bags to be repacked after a 10 year period. I will post the results of the dealership findings as soon as I take her in for service. I like avoiding the dealership but I guess sometimes our rovers like going home once in a while. Better safe then sorry. Thanks to all who posted a reply. Viewers stand by for the dealers findings.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Has you battery gone dead and you recently replaced it, or has someone
replaced the hvac blend door motors? The most common
reasons the srs light comes on are because of low battery voltage,
someone removed the drivers or passenger airbags and turned the ignition on
with the battery connected, one of the seat bolster airbags is faulty or has a poor electrical connection. (your vehicle has them)
Unless you have a good scanner that does SRS, You're at the dealers mercy to read and clear them.
Of the 3 areas Ive clue'd you on, I'd bet money it's one of them.

Cheers

The following users liked this post:
Ry_guy410 (12-28-2022)
Old 08-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

re: You're at the dealers mercy

Attached Thumbnails SRS Light will not go OFFFFF!-wallet.jpg   SRS Light will not go OFFFFF!-bad-mechanic.jpg  
Old 08-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Believe it or not, there ARE actually good independent shops out there that can do just about as much as the dealership can. The dealership is a viable option, but not the only. Keep that in mind.

At any rate, I wish you the best of luck.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although a different vehicle, my Discovery had an issue with the SRS light coming on and off periodically. I sprayed wd-40 in the seatbelt buckles, and it seemed to help. Then a few months later it started to do it again. After doing some work to it recently, I replaced the battery and the light hasn't come on since.

Also, did you do a battery reset, have you checked your fuses, and the yellow connector under the seat (clean it with contact cleaner and firmly re-seat it)? Does the light just stay on? If it is staying on, it is not running its intial diagnostics and it usually means something is disconnected. If it is running diagnostics, the light will appear on startup and extinguish. Then if it detects a problem, it will light up again a few seconds later.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:16 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

problaby has an issue with the seat harnesses. underneath the floor they get extended and need an extra bit of wire.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Rock Crawling

Men,
I checked everything I could check that you recommended and all looked connected and normal. Hours before I was going to call the dealership the light went offfffff and has stayed off. I'm going to chalk it up to another RR quirk. Thank you for the continued support!

Quick Reply: SRS Light will not go OFFFFF!