General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange screaching noise when door opened

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 04:37 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange screaching noise when door opened

Very weird thing from time to time on my 03 RR HSE. I will open the door in the moring in the garage (usually happens after sitting for at least several hours) and this nasty high pitched screach seems to come from the speakers???? its really strange and ends up going away in under 2 minutes...Just curious to know if anyone has ever heard of this happening....Thanks

Old 10-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Strange screaching noise when door opened

Are you sure its coming from your speakers? I had a similar situation a few months back with my 03 RR.I had a very high pitched sound emanatingfrom what I thought was in the cabin. If its not the speakers (put your ear to them to be sure), let me know via a response here. Its may be the e-fan like mine was.

Bob

Old 10-05-2008, 04:56 PM
6th Gear

hi, you are probably right. it just seems to be in the cabin....

Old 10-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Mine started with a few seconds then gone, eventually went to about 30 seconds or more at which point I was able to identify it. Leave your hood open (assumings its in the garage). Next time it occurs, get out of the vehicle and quickly get your head under the hood. On the passenger side, there will be a black plastic box, about 10 to 12", roughly square with torx screws securing the lid. Put your ear to the box. If the sound is coming from inside, your e-fan is going. This is an easy fix - you can do it yourself and save alot of $. Remove the torx bolts securing the cover - there's a nest of wires, but you can easily access the fan at the base of the box - it cools the electrical circuit panels in the box and is prone to shrieking when it fails.

If this is the case, let me know and I'll send you the part number. Atlantic British sent it to me for about $75 plus shipping. The dealer wanted $220 just for the part.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:24 PM
6th Gear

Thank you so much for the info. I could never reproduce this for the dealer of course! I do have the 100k mile warranty and will bring it monday and tell them what to fix (I take good care of my service advisor and he takes good care of me). thanks again!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heater control panel also has a fan, that when it fails can also sound like a failed e-box fan. If also occurs under similar conditions.