Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just opened my pas pump/ got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just opened my pas pump/ got some questions

Well i have been sitting on the dillema of forkin over 1000 to a garage but i have decided to take on my leaking steering system. The garage said you have a leaking hose and pump and they wanted 689 for a new pump or 369 for reman. I decided to take my car out of the gargage and inspect my parts. I took inlet (supply) hose and pump off. They hose is fine no cracks but i will replace it. ALso the pump looks fine except for the almost waver thin gasket. Apparently the bad gasket and vibration of the engine loosened the 4 bolts just enough to cause the leak. I could be wrong but all looks well inside the pump. it spins pretty fluidly but how can i be sure all is fine before i apply some RTV to it and put everything back together. Is that what i should use? Also a very important question what power steering do i use, i have not flushed the system, should i or should i just had fluid. lots of questioni know but thanks for the help---Jim

Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well what type of power steering fluid depends on whether you have a DI or DII.
DI's use Dexron III, DII's use power steering fluid.
No need to flush it, you have already drained the system.

I dont know if RTV will hold up to the PSI of the power steering system.
You can try it and see what happens.
Just let it set up 24 hours before you put any fluid back into it.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spike

spike do i go synthetic or just regular. also is paper gasket an option , what would you do

Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would just buy a used one unless I was stuck in the middle of no where and had to make a "just good enough to get her home" repair.
Then I would use a make your own paper gasket, then seal the outside with RTV, then fill it with the cheap stuff and drive it.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:34 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There was another post maybe yesterday or the day before where a guy explained how he did it. He used a kind of grey RTV. I posted on the thread so just search my posts from the past few days.

Edit: Found it:

Originally Posted by xengineguy
On my 99 D2 the pump leaked very bad after engine shutdown,like half a quart!!! Drove it this way from Virginia to Indiana,most of the time the pump had very little oil in it,growling like crazy,oil tank full of foam..Removed the pump to find the print-o-seal gasket had failed. Its between the front and back of the pump. With nothing to lose,I split the pump apart,cleaned it completely inside and out with brake clean,(after sanding the gasket surfaces) applied a thin layer of gray stiff silicone RTV, assembled the pump using lock tight on the bolts. Let the pump set overnight then installed...Works Great! I have 8,000 miles on it its quiet and no leaks at all ! Look at most auto parts stores for gray "stiff" silicone might be 3m. The gasket I replaced with the silicone RTV is under no pressure, a little vacume if anything.

Last edited by lipadj46; 12-02-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for sealing any part of the rover except the valve cover gaskets ( these use RTV)
I would suggest that you go to the Honda dealer and get some stuff called Hondabond 4.
This is a gray putty kind of paste thats non hardening and is resistant to oil its used for sealing covers and other parts that are subject to oil. This can also be put onto any gasket as well. Acetone will remove it