General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange water leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:26 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange water leak

Hi all,

hopefully one of you will be able to point me in the right direction for this one and/or confirm my suspicion!

I picked my 97 4.6 HSE up about a week ago now. For the first few days there were no noticeable leaks as I checked every time I parked it. However in the past couple of days I have noticed a water leak which seems to be coming from the center of the truck. It's dripping roughly between the front and rear doors and about in the middle width wise. I've only seen it happen when I've parked on a hill (facing up or down hill) or on a street that had a bigger than normal camber. Doesn't seem to happen when parked on the flat or in my garage.

I've got a windshield washer low warning and have had to fill this up a couple of times and when I have filled it, still got the message intermittently and the level seemed to have dropped below what I think I had actually used.

Just to be on the safe side I checked the overflow tank and the cooling system does not appear to be loosing coolant. Will give the hoses a squeeze tonight to see how pressurised they feel.

All that said is it feasible that this leak is from the windshield washer system, given where the water is dripping out and if so will it be a perished hose, connector or something similar. If not what else could this be?

I'm planning to put the truck up on it's highest setting tonight and have a crawl around under it when I get home from work but any help trouble shooting this problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Strange water leak

It shouldn't be the windshield wiper fluid. My guess would be the A/C evaporator drains. One on each side of the transmission.

As for the windshield wiper fluid warning it's probably just a faulty sensor (unless you really are losing wiper fluid very quickly).

It wasn't clear if it's leaking inside the vehicle or leaking onto the ground. I'm assuming ground. I would recommend touching whatever is leaking and if it appears to just be water it's probably just the A/C drain tubes (although with the location you said that may not be the case). If it's falling slightly more towards the front of the vehicle it'd pretty much confirm it's the A/C drains. Keep in mind the A/C system should be creating some water even when not in use if the temperatures are warm to hot... It's nothing to be worried about. Just make sure it's water.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:24 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, yes it is leaking outside the truck and it's definitely just water. I'll have a closer look tonight as to where it's coming from, thanks for the advice,

kyle.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine drips water from right off the muffler when the ac is on........