General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Failure 2002 P38

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Failure 2002 P38

Can anyone suggest where to look first?

ABS, Brake, and TC light come on when I start the vehicle. ABS fault is displayed on info center. After about 40 seconds, the brake light goes off, and Traction Failure is displayed. ABS and TC lights remain on. ABS pump seems to work fine. After running a while and stopping / re-starting, same thing happens, but it takes less time for the brake light to go off.

Any suggestions on what to check? Dealer wants $140 just to connect to it. I'd like to repair myself if possible.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not seen this one before so maybe someone else can chime in too. If you are driving it and it appears that the ABS is working and since you are driving it I am assuming that you have traction and the system is not compensating anywhere I would think it is a sensor issue.

I have worked with ABS on my D1 so it may be a little different but check the sensors for the ABS, it may be tricking the traction message as well since it thinks there is an issue with with brakes.

I get an SRS light and air bag fault message on mine everytime I go thorugh a car wash, so obviously it is a sensor somewhere that is getting wet.

Best of luck.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah it is most likely a speed sensor on the axle. Make sure that it is seated properly, they like to pop out from time to time.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So, have your brakes been squeaking, how about if you do a panic stop on a loose surface from 30 MPH, can you feel the brake pulsate thru the brake pedal?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Drifting
Default Where is the blink code switch for ABS?

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
So, have your brakes been squeaking, how about if you do a panic stop on a loose surface from 30 MPH, can you feel the brake pulsate thru the brake pedal?
No brakes squeaking, panic stop = no ABS. I'm looking for the code blink switch. I spent some looking for info and ended up at the Wabco website, downloaded the docs for a type D hydraulic ABS system, and it describes a code blink switch, which I can't find (nevermind the fact that I can't seem to locate the diagnostic connector either). It has all of the codes for the system, which is also used in trucks, buses and motor homes, by the way (nice overkill).

I also might have found a direct source for the wheel sensors that might be MUCH less than LR ones, direct from a Wabco distributor, but I'm not sure which one is bad, if any (depends on length and gender). I need to read the codes from the unit first as a first step.

Anyone know where to find the connector and the code switch on a 2002 RR ABS?

Here is the document I was looking at (which is referenced from another Wabco document which says a 2002 RR uses a type D system)

http://www.meritorwabco.com/MeritorW...ument/mm39.pdf

The document that says it's Wabco D type:
www.blackbox-solutions.com/docs/MASC-LandRover.pdf

Old 10-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling

The OBD II connector is located on the passenger side, underneath the dash. Can't say that I have ever heard of a code blink switch. On my old Ford truck I had to jump a couple terminals and the check engine light would flash the code. Is that what you are talking about? If so, I don't think your RR has one.