General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fault error before purchasing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 03:24 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fault error before purchasing?

I have been looking at Range Rovers for a while now and I have found one I really like and test drove it: 2006 Range Rover Supercharged V8 with 60k miles on it.

The tag on the Range Rover is $19,488 (plus taxes, tags, etc.), but when talking with the sales manager, he let me know that they took it to a Land rover dealer and said the "differential module" needs to be replaced and that it's $3,000. He provided the paperwork from the dealer, too.

The error codes on the dash include:
transmission fault stop with care, ABS, park brake, brake, and one that I did not recognize (Triangle with an exclamation point and an arrow going around it).

After reading many of the posts on this forum, it looks like this is a common electrical issue with the brake light switch and/or battery. "Christmas Tree Effect".

The sales manager dropped the price of the Range Rover to $16,488 to accommodate for this fixing. (I drove it and it drove excellently, too).

My question is should I move forward with purchasing the vehicle, thinking it might be the brake light switch, and/or battery first? I would like to think the Land Rover dealer is right, but after reading a lot of the posts on here, it seems like the Land Rover dealer is one of the last places to go with these things. I know if I decide to move forward with purchasing the vehicle, just be ready to spend the $3000 to fix it, although I have found a reputable independent mechanic nearby.

Let me know!

Old 08-21-2016, 06:40 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Hard to say just based on the symptoms. Brake switches are easy to diagnose if you have access to the stored fault codes, I'd hate to think they would misdiagnose that. Are you sure they didn't mean "differential motor"? I have done a handful of those, there is even a service bulletin to replace the motor and do a software update. Its only a guess though, since we don't know the codes. But diff motor isn't $3K. To charge half that would be on the high side.