General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd electrical gremlin in 2005 RR HSE

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:35 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd electrical gremlin in 2005 RR HSE

Newby here so hope someone can help. I'm on my 3rd 05 RR HSE and this one has a small issue. It has the luxury package and when you lower the rear windows they sometimes will not go back up. Also when you enter the vehicle and start it up, the steering wheel is suppose to go to the pre-programmed spot however it will telescope out but sometimes want go down to the programmed spot and if it doesn't, you have to drive it for a little while before the up and down steering control will move it. It's starting to get on my last nerve because I cant let rear passengers role down the rear windows in fear that I want be able to get them up in a sudden rain storm which has happened once already. Landrover service mgr. said it was some kind of modulation something and that if I left it with him for a few days he could track it down but not sure so thought I would try here first. Can anyone help me out here?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the window controller on the driver door may be the cause of this has it gotten wet?
if so then it may have corroded contacts you might do well to buy a used working part and swap it out.
I dont know about the steering wheel drive but there was a recall for them and they were putting in a new steering column

Old 07-21-2011, 06:22 PM
8th Gear

Thanx for the tip and the recall info mrmerlin, I will definitely look into both of them

Old 07-21-2011, 08:23 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

actually it was new regulators for the rear and a repgm but sometimes it needed a bcu as well. Plus the steering wheel was just a simple fix. If the fix wasn't done then the steering wheel broke. But the dealers make you pay for the steering wheel if the recall wasn't done because of time. In other words if you never came in for the recall then when you came in for the broken steering wheel you had to pay for it because you didn't come in when you got the letter. Alot of manufacturers do that. they limit you on time for a recall. If you chose to ignore the letters then whatever breaks on your vehicle is your responsibility not theres. It sounds mean but they are required to inform you of a recall and if you ignore it then why should they step up to the plate because you didn't.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:04 PM
8th Gear

I looked up the recalls for that 2005 model and it doesnt say anything about the steering that i could find but I am gonna ask the service manager and see what he says about a recall. Its funny because you know how you can hold down the unlock button on your key and the windows will go down, well i did that today and 3 of the four went down, the rear driver side didnt move at all. I dont know so I think its gonna go into the dealer and see what happens. I'm not a wealthy man so I hope they can fix it without it costing an arm and leg. I will post updates to this thread if they do fix it and any details as well. Thank you guys for all the good advice...

Old 07-23-2011, 09:02 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if your not a rich man, then a 05 range rover will take alot of money off your hands. You can save some money with BMW parts but very few. Engine parts can be bought at the BMW dealer but most suspension is LR specific but you can buy alot of that stuff at ATlantic british.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:32 PM
Mudding

ive ran into these problems at the dealer ship, the steering wheel issue could be two things the motor doesnt recognize its position any more and the module for the memory needs to be replaced wich is pretty much your switch pack for your seat. also the rear window issue can be several things but the one im more leaning twords is your bcu or gems (body control module) located under your passengers seat its white with i think 4 connections if you know anyone who has a rover from 04-08 you should be able to swap them out to test your windows. remember remove from left to right or your alarm will go off. also if that doesnt solve the issue it can be a K bus issue .