General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Disco Sunroof oddness.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:02 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 Disco Sunroof oddness.

Ok so I just picked up a 1998 Disco

I tried to open the front and back sun roof. The back was acting a mess and seeing that I use sun roofs to escape heat here in the severe south I thought I would take a look at the highest sun roof first (the back). Because hot air rises. I was able to get the rear completely working just by greasing the rear latches, it seems the passenger side latch was sticking. So after it opened I cleaned / greased the track and its 100%.

So I figured the front would have the same issue. At first glance the front was infact having the same issue the rear one was with the sticking latches. I was able to get them to release with the smallest amount of preasure with a screw driver while driving the motor with the switch.

But now the issue seems to be a track issue. the track is clean for the most part (no mud or sand etc) Ive cleaned it. But what happens is the sunroof goes up and down fine, but when you try for 'back' movement it seems to maybe kinda kick to the side a tiny bit. none the less it wont go back and I can only assume its the passenger track that is sticking i assume that due to the angle of the 'kicking out'. My question is. Would this be a situation I would need to remove the glass and give the track some special attention. Or should I just continue to clean and move it via the switch. I have tried to put a hand on it and help it back but that seems to have no effect and the sun has made the glass feel like a hot plate.

Thanks in advance. Oh and this is my first post so thanks for having me.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:27 PM
8th Gear

Quick update I went ahead and removed the glass. motor is working fine. runs all the way back on the track. so the only 2 things I can think of are that the windows was cockeyed (screws were loose) and it was binding the track with the twist. Or that the motor is worn and cant move the weight of the glass. I'm now in search of how to properly align the glass on the track brackets.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 PM
8th Gear

Ok problem fixed. I simply laid the glass back on the track runners and loosely set the 2 highest screws. I closed the sun roof and checked for fit. and then re opened to make sure it wouldn't bind. It did bind the first time but with a quick adjustment it was running smooth I tightened everything down and the front is working 100%. I want to thank you guys for all the help. I'm not sure I could have done it without all the help.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks but we didn't do anything.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:48 AM
8th Gear

Nothing gets past you.