General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1999 Disco Series I Wheel Hub Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 02:16 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

So it looks like on the passenger side you have a hub, rotor, swivel housing, spindle, swivel ball, cv and axle. On the left side, you didn't do quite so well. You have the spindle, swivel housing, swivel ball, cv and axle. From the picture it doesn't look like you got a hub for the left side (they are interchangeable BTW, not handed). Oh, and you got ABS speed sensors on each side. Now, before I slide those monsters on my truck I would disassemble them and rebuild them with new seals. Maybe even new bearings because you have no real idea what you have in terms of wear and tear until you get yourself a little dirty.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
So it looks like on the passenger side you have a hub, rotor, swivel housing, spindle, swivel ball, cv and axle. On the left side, you didn't do quite so well. You have the spindle, swivel housing, swivel ball, cv and axle. From the picture it doesn't look like you got a hub for the left side (they are interchangeable BTW, not handed). Oh, and you got ABS speed sensors on each side. Now, before I slide those monsters on my truck I would disassemble them and rebuild them with new seals. Maybe even new bearings because you have no real idea what you have in terms of wear and tear until you get yourself a little dirty.
So I paid for a wheel hub assembly for both sides and didn't get one of them? The passenger side is the one that is messed up at the moment...so should I throw that on...or no return them both and just get bearings and only do the bearings on the passenger side?

Old 03-06-2016, 06:35 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

You have the hub on the right side from what I can tell from the picture. It's the part that is bolted up to the rotor. You realize that you should rebuild the hub before you use it. You have no real idea what kind of condition the hub bearings were in and the junkyard was in no position to tell you. The truck probably came into the yard on a flatbed.

So, either way, you're in the same position as you were before you went to the junkyard. You are going to need to purchase a pair of bearing sets (bearing and races) and a new seal. Whether you install those new parts on the hub that's on your truck or on the hub you just bought from the junkyard is entirely up to you.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 211 Likes on 185 Posts

You really didnt need to buy those parts, it would have been easier and cheaper to just remove the hubs and fit new bearings and seals and refit then.
And i will bet my left nut that the bearings are fine and probably only required a re-pack with grease and new seals.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by loanrangie
You really didnt need to buy those parts, it would have been easier and cheaper to just remove the hubs and fit new bearings and seals and refit then.
And i will bet my left nut that the bearings are fine and probably only required a re-pack with grease and new seals.
If the bearings were fine would it feel like the tire was going to fall off while driving?

Old 03-08-2016, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Originally Posted by loanrangie
I guess my main ? To you two is (seems how I obviously know nothing about this) is...I spent $108 on those two things from the junk yard...should I just return those and buy the wheel bearings and seal? I only got the whole hub bc I heard replacing just the bearings was harder...but if you just suggest I get the bearings then I will do that...is exactly what I need to buy in those things you first told me about Paul?

Old 03-08-2016, 06:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

You need to do a front end shake down. First your saying it leaks. Now a wheel is going to fall off. Start over from the beginning.

You have a Discovery series 1 with a serviceable hub. Buying another (that also needs service) is pointless. Return those if you can.

Your truck does NOT have a distributor. Nor will the wires for a distributor equipped truck, actually fit your truck. Return those.

Get yourself some quality copper plugs and Kingsborn wires. Google Kingsborn. Really good quality cheap. Use anti seize. Gap plugs correctly.

Before assessing the front end situation...jack up the front tire on a flat surface or chock the rear wheels. Grab the tire from the top and bottom and shake. Then grab it from the sides and shake. Have a friend watch for loose parts whilst you shake. If it's that bad it should be obvious what the problem is. Please be careful doing this work. Your truck has to take you safely to your destination. Not to mention other people on the road.

If you find that you need to do the bearings, watch this video. It's two parts that will help you identify your parts and their functions. You need to be educated on this stuff before you even grab a wrench. Take your time. Good luck. Update us when you fix it or need more help.

The following users liked this post:
loanrangie (03-09-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
You need to do a front end shake down. First your saying it leaks. Now a wheel is going to fall off. Start over from the beginning.

You have a Discovery series 1 with a serviceable hub. Buying another (that also needs service) is pointless. Return those if you can.

Your truck does NOT have a distributor. Nor will the wires for a distributor equipped truck, actually fit your truck. Return those.

Get yourself some quality copper plugs and Kingsborn wires. Google Kingsborn. Really good quality cheap. Use anti seize. Gap plugs correctly.

Before assessing the front end situation...jack up the front tire on a flat surface or chock the rear wheels. Grab the tire from the top and bottom and shake. Then grab it from the sides and shake. Have a friend watch for loose parts whilst you shake. If it's that bad it should be obvious what the problem is. Please be careful doing this work. Your truck has to take you safely to your destination. Not to mention other people on the road.

If you find that you need to do the bearings, watch this video. It's two parts that will help you identify your parts and their functions. You need to be educated on this stuff before you even grab a wrench. Take your time. Good luck. Update us when you fix it or need more help.

Land Rover Swivel replacement - with Rob & Vic part 1 removal - YouTube
Thanks! Yeah I'm returning those used parts tomorrow..then going to check out the front end like you said...obviously I'm not great at this..luckily I promise the people that will be helping me know ALOT more than me and know how it all works I just was trying to make sure to research as much as possible before...I got some good plugs and wires made for my car...thanks for ur help!

Old 03-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Good job for being persistent. It's ok if you aren't good yet. That will come with time.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 211 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Good job for being persistent. It's ok if you aren't good yet. That will come with time.
Yep, getting your hands dirty is the only way to learn. The D1 is a pretty simple vehicle really.
The feeling of the wheel coming off is probably because the hub bearing pre-load and or the swivel housing pre-load is out.
Both of these will need to be checked on re-assembly, it would be nice if a local handy forum member could give you a chop out and over see what you are doing.

Quick Reply: 1999 Disco Series I Wheel Hub Assembly