General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st Post - Big Question Re: Loud Ticking & Oil Light On

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 07:40 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Post - Big Question Re: Loud Ticking & Oil Light On

Hi everyone! Please let me thank everyone in advance for any help I might get on this subject.

I have a '99 Discovery I with 70K miles on it - I purchased it about 4 months ago.

Last month I noticed it had a terrible ticking on start up so I researched around and figured I'd put in the wrong the oil filter - So I took it to a shop with the correct filter and asked them to flush it and replace the filter. After I got it back it was ticking worse than ever and ALL the time not just on start up. A day later I drained the oil and replaced it with new oil (10W-30- now I know it should have been thicker) and a bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer. This helped a lot but the ticking never subsided on start up and would return after I drove for a while. I stopped driving it for weeks and then this Monday I had to drive it and when I got to work (slowing from 50 to 25 mph) the Oil light came on and it barely chugged itself the few 100 yds to the parking lot. I haven't driven it since and there it sits.......full of oil with the oil light on. Hmmmmmmm?????

I have a few ideas of my own....

I'm planning on dropping the pan and checking for a loose oil pick up tube.......

(How hard is this to do?)

Any suggestions or tips for a young lady with her first Land Rover?

Old 08-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: 1st Post - Big Question Re: Loud Ticking & Oil Light On

call a land rover dealership and make sure you are getting the right grade oil, right oil filter and right amount of oil.

the only reason i say that about the filter is that i have a freelander and there are no aftermarket brands such as fram to replace the filter. so we always buy ours at the dealership when we go somewhere like ft worth or san antonio since there is no Land Rover dealership where i live

Old 08-04-2005, 08:51 AM
7th Gear

Howdy - Presumably your disco a V8, and you sound reasonably adept, so go right ahead and whip the pan off. Have a new gasket and silicone ready - but also borrow a torque wrench and take off one of the main and one of the conrod bearings whilst you are at it. It could be that you've killed a bearing and it's slipped in some fashion. What you find in the pan will tell you. And just remember the main/conrod bearings are still similar to those found in the Buick215 alloy V8 of the 50's. Don't despair if you have to replace engine bearings, as you can do it with just the pan off ( I have )

Feel free to bombard me with questions
(I'm going to regret that arn't I )

Langy

Old 08-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hopefully you are hearing the lifters "tapping" a lilttle bit more than normal, and not hearing a "knocking" sound form the rod or rods (eek). Any way when the oil light come on it is saying there is not enough oil pressure maybe none at all, The only place to start is to pull the pan and start looking. I would check the pick-up tube and screen for debris in it or it may not even be setting all the way down in the pan, or it could be too far down and the bottom inside of the pan is against it and oil can't get in the tube, could also be oil pump. Once you find out the problem then you need to fix the other proble, the knocking. If it is a spun main bearing you will need to change it, most people will just change the bad one out but it will only lead to it spining again later. you need to pull the crank and have it ground down and then get new bearings the are thicker to compensate the differance. (thats the right way to do it) Good Luck.