General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Disco II overheating problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:10 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Disco II overheating problems

Thanks to all of the GREAT information found on this forum. I am a new owner of a 2000 Discovery II, and am looking for any assistance you guys an provide with an over heating issue. Vehicle started overheating, stopped driving and discovered the expansion tank had a crack where. On the the smaller lines connected. Ordered a new tank and replaced. When I drive the vehicle,it starts to overheat. Will run in park in the driveway fine, temperature right in the center of the operating range. Have left in running for an hour this way with no over heating, and not adding coolant to the system. But if I drive it. Again it heats up.

I have read thru a lot of the posts here regarding head gasket issues, and am trying to determine if it is the head gasket, air in the system, thermostat , or something else.

Oil on dip stick looks fine, no white smoke on exhaust, .....

Sorry if I am asking a question that has been answered elsewhere, but I could not locate the answer I was looking for.

Vehicle did originally overheat somewhat when I pulled over.

Are the head gaskets replaceable with limited tools and mechanical skill? The quoted repair is in the $2400.00 range, which is more than I originally paid for the vehicle.

I understand the head gasket failure is something I will have to address maybe again at some point in the ownership of the vehicle, so I would like to be able to work on this vehicle myself. I understand that owning a Rover requires a hobby like dedication, which I am more than willing to provide.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you guys may provide.

Chip

Old 08-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. If by overheating, you mean a trip to the end of the gauge, and maybe the red light coming on; that is very much overheating, but it could be starting a lot sooner than you think. The oem heat gauge will point at 50% from 130 - 240F. Only with a scanner or after market gauge can you gat a real idea of the heat inside the motor. These scanner photos show same gauge reading, two different temps.

Head gaskets usually make steam out the exhaust, loss of coolant, coolant in oil, exhaust out the side of the block, or coolant boiling vigorously in the coolant bottle.

Other overheating causes -

Serpantine belt on wrong -

Fan(s) not blowing right direction - a paper towel should hold against the grille, not be blown away.

radiator air flow blocked - mud and leaves on fins of AC condenser, oil cooler, and radiator itself.

radiator sludge on inside - lower rows usually block up first, and with low coolant flow they are colder than rows at teh top where flow is normal. Rad man told me more than 10F spread top to bottom is usually a good sign of sludge.

Bad thermostat - there is a 180F alternative temp thermostat you can install. Buy a real Rover one, not the Motorad. $65 ish.

As for DIY HG, yes, with average tools it can be done. Kit of parts is $150-$200 depending on source. You'll also need to plan on having heads machined and valve seals done, a shop handles this for like $250. As for how long it will take, a pro can do it in about 12 hours. Working outside, with weather delays, and only about an hour a day on it, and plenty of problems along the way I took considerably longer. If a third world shade tree mechanic can do it, I figured I could too, after all it is shade from the same sun.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Disco II overheating problems-bc8afb25-b563-4331-bdd7-c77d9c7f7685-8721-00000924dc11272f_zps3eba1104.jpg   2000 Disco II overheating problems-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg