General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2000 Discovery BCU Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:59 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Discovery BCU Issues

Hello; I wanted to thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide solving this issue. I recently purchased a 2000 Discovery II. I bought it knowing it had some issues, which I hope to sort out. The main problem appears to be with the BDU, located behind the glove compartment that controls a number of the interior items in the vehicle. Door locks, power windows, ac, etc. It doesn't appear to effect the driveability of the vehicle.

This is where I really need some help. If I replace the BDU, does it have to be programmed? I have told that If I can find on on similar model that I don't.

Would this item effect the ability to shift into 4 wheel Drive?

I don't plan on driving the vehicle very often till fixed, but didn't want to harm the vehicle or get stranded.

Thanks so much for any help, advice, or suggestions you can provide.!

Old 04-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The BCU and the ECU must be synced to start the vehicle (immobilization). So you could replace in pairs from a donor vehicle. You can also pay to have resync, or effect it yourself (use remote key fob multiple times - works sometimes). There is a program issue with the odometer. The BCU has to establish sync with the IDM under the fuse panel, leave key in position 2 for 10 minutes.

So what exact problems are you having? Perhaps we can fix them without a new module.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

What symptoms make you think the BCU is bad? If you repace it you will have to get the engine computer to learn the BCU security code. This requires a land rover specific scan tool or a scantool with land rover aware software.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Also like buzz stated the odometer will blink unless you sync the BCU with it. Your keyless remotes will also need reprogrammed. All of the settings like when the doors lock and unlock and if you have fog lights or a heated windscreen will need reprogrammed to the new BCU.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:11 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buzz and Jafir; Thanks for your reply. The vehicle seems to drive fine. Power window on drivers side operates fine. No other power windows work. No Ac, not radio, no compass in rear view mirror, no door locks etc. It seems that the problems are confined to the interior,; the previous owner said he had traced the problem to the bdu, and that when it starts to go bad, the interior items will go one by one, which seems to be the case.

Exterior lights all work, just seems confined to the interior. Thanks again for all your input and for taking time to help!