General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2000 LR Discovery 2 - Starts, Drives, No Power.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 01:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chappers
another solution is give the gear box a service new filter and oil could be either low on oil or filter and oil are bad
I have changed oil and filter but not gear box flush. I may try that next. I appreciate your suggestions.

I still think it might be in “LIMP” mode since I have key to start it, but the key does not fit the driver door handle (someone changed it). LR does say LIMP mode will allow you to drive it at lower speeds to get to a dealer, but not above 30mph. No blinking security light also has me wondering the same.

Old 04-16-2024, 01:57 PM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no blinking light means that somewhere along the lines its had the emobilizer switched off, do you know anyone close by that has a nanocom that could scan the car for faults, normally if a vehichle goes into limp home mode it shows the engine light to show there is a problem, when you turn the ignition on does the engine battery handbrake and oil light come on until you start the car?

Old 04-16-2024, 02:14 PM
Overlanding

no blinking light means that somewhere along the lines its had the emobilizer switched off, do you know anyone close by that has a nanocom that could scan the car for faults, normally if a vehichle goes into limp home mode it shows the engine light to show there is a problem, when you turn the ignition on does the engine battery handbrake and oil light come on until you start the car?
I don’t know anyone with a nanocom but maybe I can put a search out for one.

yes, all those lights come on then go off immediately. No lights remain on during idle or driving so that is confusing me on the Limp Mode.

I did just notice their is a whole in the flex tube from fender well to air filter box (not the motor air flex tube, but the smaller one). Not sure if that would make a difference.

Why would one change out the driver door handle which ignition key does not fit and security light no blink. It makes “ding” noise when key is turned and starts with light on, but then the “ding” noise and ALL lights go off.

Old 04-16-2024, 03:38 PM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you on facebook? if so join
discovery 2 owners club
strictly discos
there is a lot of guys and girls all around the world on these groups and im sure someone my be on the next block to you that may be able to assist you
good luck hope you get it sorted

The following users liked this post:
DevGru (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 07:14 PM
Overlanding

are you on facebook? if so join
discovery 2 owners club
strictly discos
there is a lot of guys and girls all around the world on these groups and im sure someone my be on the next block to you that may be able to assist you
good luck hope you get it sorted
Done! Thank you.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:17 PM
Overlanding

I did another test and all lights come on when starting like normal and then go off with seatbelt going off lastly just like normal.

I did run it today in cooler air (yesterday was 82 degrees and today 70 degrees).

I started in 1 and it ran up to about 15-20 when I could tell the RPMs were wanting to shift so I shifted in 2 and went faster, then 3 went faster ( 3 and Drive are very close ). I got it up to almost 50 mph over the course of two blocks.

So maybe it is just me going from a new vehicle speed and a 2000. There is a 1/2 flex hose hole I am going to tape up that in flex house from fender to air box. That may make a difference too from air flow from fender well. It’s where a snorkel would normal mount.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:18 PM
TReK
Received 762 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by DevGru
I still think it might be in “LIMP” mode since I have key to start it, but the key does not fit the driver door handle (someone changed it). LR does say LIMP mode will allow you to drive it at lower speeds to get to a dealer, but not above 30mph. No blinking security light also has me wondering the same.
There is no chip in the key system. It doesn't matter if you have a flat metal key or if it's different from the driver's door lock, it will still start the truck just like an original key. If the security system was kicking in you wouldn't be able to start it at all.

The following users liked this post:
DevGru (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 07:30 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by mollusc
There is no chip in the key system. It doesn't matter if you have a flat metal key or if it's different from the driver's door lock, it will still start the truck just like an original key. If the security system was kicking in you wouldn't be able to start it at all.
thank you.