General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Freelander only starts sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:35 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Freelander only starts sometimes

Hey all!

My car won't start (most of the time).

For about a week now, my car has been starting only sometimes.
There's a 90% chance that when I turn the key, nothing happens. But sometimes, the car does start. It has started up on the first try before, and it's started up on the 50th try, it's completely random. Sometimes I'll have been holding the key in the "start position" for a few seconds before it starts up. Once or twice in the past week it has started up immediately, but that's rare. The battery is not dead, we've tried simply jumping it and that doesn't work.

Possibly relevant information:
-new battery/battery leads
-no cranking/engine turning when I turn the key to start (almost complete silence)
-all warning lights go on when key is in "on" position
-all dash lights turn off when key is in "start" position
-headlights/interior lights don't dim when I turn key to "start"
-I have not looked to see the battery connections on the starter to see if they are corroded or loose
-No "clicking" sound when I turn key to "start", but then again I haven't listened closely under the hood. I can't hear any from inside the car.
-When the engine DOES turn on, it starts up perfectly (no excess cranking from starter)

Also, today I went out to play around with it, and I normally hold the key in "start" for around 10-15 seconds, which occasionally works. While doing that today, I heard the starter crank 2 different times VERY quickly, like a small fraction of a second. But I did get the engine started. When it did start, it started perfectly.

It's a 2002 Land Rover Freelander.
Any ideas? Sorry for the long explanation but I wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear
Default my has done that as well

Get into the car without closing the door, turn the ignition key to the on position and close the door hard...that has worked for me in the past. If the car cranks but does not fire, it could be a faulty cam sensor.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You have a starter or battery cable problem, either the starter itself is bad or its not getting enough power.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

Hi there! First time posting. I have a 2004 Freelander SAME EXACT issue for me as you've described. I was actually Googling tonight to see what the issue could be & so glad I found these forums & this thread! My thought was initially starter motor, too, since once started, the car seems fine. It also doesn't make that "clicking" sound you get when it's a battery issue.

Today I finally got it started after about the 6th or 7th try, and immediately smelled gas - really strong. However, it is also very cold (snowed yesterday) and didn't run the car yesterday. I was reading in another thread this could just be the norm, so I'm guessing this isn't related to the starting issue. My husband thought they might be connected though & was wondering if this is a fuel injector problem.

I'm hoping we can diagnose quickly & resolve.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My p38 did this. The little wire on the starter completely corroded away. But then again these are very finikey machines. I have some weird electronic issues on my 04

Old 04-25-2014, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

could be a faulty ignition swith had a similar problem with my freelander replaced the switch at the back of the ignition barrel (about £10 - £20 off ebay) problem solved

Old 04-27-2014, 02:53 AM
5th Gear

Hi their, I would locate the starter relay under the bonnet and check the switched side is receiving a voltage while someone tries starting if their is no voltage you have a faulty ignition switch if you are getting voltage then the issue is either a faulty relay which can easily be tested or the issue is with the starter or wiring. If you could test at the relay and let me know your results we can go from their .
Hope this helps