General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 d2 cdl question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 d2 cdl question

I have a 2004 D2 just bought it a month ago with 115k miles. I know all 04's have a CDL, but i try to engage it but it wont move to the left. My question is that, is it possible that some of the 04 models dont have the linkage? And one question is it possible to engage the CDL with the engine off, or i need to have the engine on with the trans in neutral?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

See attached from owner's manual. If previous owner seldom used the CDL, corrosion may the problem. On my D1 after looking at the shop manual I was able to take off the boot around the lever, and force a straw down alongside the shift lever, and soak the innards with PB Blaster, freeing them up.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 cdl1.pdf (1.16 MB, 127 views)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes all '04's came with the CDL, it is cable operated instead of a solid linkage like on a DI.
You will need to replace that shift cable because it is in a sheaf and you cant lube it.
Lack of use will allow corrosion to seize the cable and make it inoperable.
Once you get it working use it once a month, even in your driveway just move it though all CDL positions.
And I assume you tried to move it with the transmission in neutral and the truck rolling under 5mph?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes all '04's came with the CDL, it is cable operated instead of a solid linkage like on a DI.
You will need to replace that shift cable because it is in a sheaf and you cant lube it.
Lack of use will allow corrosion to seize the cable and make it inoperable.
Once you get it working use it once a month, even in your driveway just move it though all CDL positions.
And I assume you tried to move it with the transmission in neutral and the truck rolling under 5mph?

Why cant i lube it with PB blaster? ..And no I tried to engage it with the trans in neutral, while holding the brake.... Why do you have to have the truck rolling in neutral to engage the CDL?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Because it is covered, like I already said, so you cant get to it, you can spray away, all you'll be doing is wasting your time and money.

Because it makes the gears easier to mesh, if you are not moving and the gears are not exactly lined up they will not mesh.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Here's pages from the shop manual. As you would expect, two cables, one for hi/lo and one for CDL. Intersting that a few pages on in the shop manual they describe lube of the hi/lo cable on refit, but not for the CDL cable, perhaps a more sealed sheath. But you might be able to lube the cable, or by the time you get it apart you are ready to put in a new one. On a D1 the shift rod has a basket of widgets at the bottom of it for lube to break loose.

Attached Files
d2 cdl cable.pdf (815.9 KB, 102 views)
d2 cdle cable 2.pdf (1.44 MB, 106 views)
Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Three Wheeling

Because it is covered, like I already said, so you cant get to it, you can spray away, all you'll be doing is wasting your time and money.

Because it makes the gears easier to mesh, if you are not moving and the gears are not exactly lined up they will not mesh.
So i should engage it while moving at 5 mph in neutral? And on a blacktop pavement?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Not normally used on dry blacktop for long periods (making turns intoduces extra stress on components). Perhaps in straight line (paved boat ramp), normally on soft material (sand, snow, earth, mud, gravel). Certainly OK for testing.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by MONEYMIKE
So i should engage it while moving at 5 mph in neutral? And on a blacktop pavement?

Ok thx guys im gunna try engaging it at 5 mph... If that doesnt work shuld i try Taking off the linkage and PB blast it. Or just get a new linkage ... Cuz i really dont want get a new one which is like $500

Old 02-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure I totally agree with this statement. Yes, it is covered but so aren't all cables. If water could get in there, PB Blaster can definitely get in there. There may be just enough corrosion at the ends of the cable to bind it up so giving it a few sprays can't hurt. If the corrosion has worked its way well into the housing, then you are probably out of luck. If you pull the entire cable out and soak the ends, you can also try to spin the cable in the housing. Turn it the direction that the cable is wound. That may loosen it up enough to get it working and if you make sure it keeps moving you should be good. Otherwise, I'm not sure where to get just the cable. The only listings I have seen are for the entire assembly. The dealer may be able to get you just the cable, but I'm sure it costs more than a can of PB Blaster.

Quick Reply: 2004 d2 cdl question