General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 d2 cdl question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Not sure I totally agree with this statement. Yes, it is covered but so aren't all cables. If water could get in there, PB Blaster can definitely get in there. There may be just enough corrosion at the ends of the cable to bind it up so giving it a few sprays can't hurt. If the corrosion has worked its way well into the housing, then you are probably out of luck. If you pull the entire cable out and soak the ends, you can also try to spin the cable in the housing. Turn it the direction that the cable is wound. That may loosen it up enough to get it working and if you make sure it keeps moving you should be good. Otherwise, I'm not sure where to get just the cable. The only listings I have seen are for the entire assembly. The dealer may be able to get you just the cable, but I'm sure it costs more than a can of PB Blaster.
You can disagree if you want, I'm not saying I'm 100% correct.
But think about this, there is water in the air, the air gets everywhere that is not air tight, the cable for the CDL is not air tight.
So humidity causes corrosion, carwash sprays high pressure water everywhere under the car, mud puddles splash everywhere, snow melt, slush...you get the idea.
Is is possible that PB Blaster could work its way into the sheath? Sure. But from a distance spraying with the can...not very likely in my opinion.
I am talking while still on the truck of course, if he were to remove it and soak it in a bucket of penetrating oil then yes, def would get inside the sheath.