General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 disco 2 coolant and over heating

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 03:14 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 disco 2 coolant and over heating

Hi Rover Family...
Im the second owner of a 2004 Disco II. I bought the rover at 93,000 miles drove it solidly for 5000 miles over six months. I'm in Southern California so it's warm here but it's always been garaged. Took it into an independent vintage English car repair guy-highly recommended-in business here in LA for 35 years. He told me he had never seen a cleaner discovery. Said it was flawless inside and out. That's why bought it! I was having a clanging noise while idling which he could never diagnose. But he did replace the main hoses coming out of the engine and the coolant tank etc. for basic rubber aging issues and upkeep. Two weeks later when I drained my battery under predictable circumstances I opened the hood to see the coolant tank was empty and cilantro had stayed all over the engine etc. The rover's temperature gauge had never indicated that it overheated.
I brought it back to the guy who then pressure tested it and found zero leaks. He replaced the temperature gauge and the radiator. It took him several days to do the draining and flushing process. I picked it up last week and drove it only 60 miles since with 4 days of no driving bc I was away for Xmas.
Drove it for one mile this morning and smoke was coming out of the front of the truck. The coolant tank was two thirds empty! Of course the repair guy is closed for the holidays… And I'm unsure want to bring it back to him - but I also want to make sure he finishes what he started… Any advice? Help!

Last edited by Sarazoloft; 12-30-2016 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-30-2016, 03:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Hi there! Welcome to the club!
i'll start with the bad news and work up to the good.

You most likely have a bad head gasket. (At the least)
its not the end of the world, its very common on the end of the Rover v8's right around 100k miles.
If your only issue is a head gasket, you get it done professionally and don't have to worry about it any more.

The 4.6's and later engines were also susceptible to dropped cylinder sleeves (search this site for info) One symptom of a truck with a dropped cylinder is a clanking noise that appears to come from the engine block.

Main thing here is that if you're not doing the diagnostic yourself, you need to be able to trust your mechanic that he really knows Rovers and especially D2's.

Lots of reading to do, search about the d2 temperature gauge. You're going to need an aftermarket way to monitor engine temperatures. Many folks on this board use the ultragauge and run it all the time.

The bare minimum youre you're going to want to do is to replace the thermostat with the tropical 180 degree stat from the td5 and give serious consideration to adding the oil cooler back that BMW decided to remove.
Oh and have the front driveshaft checked asap! If it's still the OEM shaft, get it replaced with a tom woods had shaft or equivalent.

i don't want to be he harbinger of doom here. I bought an 04 d2 for top dollar 4 years ago which promptly broke down 3 times on my drive home from LA to Seattle if you can afford to go into this assuming that the previous owner did no maintenance and that you may need to spend quite a bit of money to get caught back up, your experience will be significantly less frustrating. They're great cars that are now 12 years old that had some quality control flaws from the factory that need to be addressed.