General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2004 Disco: Buy or rebuild cheap? Advice Inquery

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Smile 2004 Disco: Buy or rebuild cheap? Advice Inquery

Returning back to LRF, I continue my search for a 2004 Land Rover Discovery. On occasion I have stumped onto fairly cheap 2004 Disco's ranging between $3,500 - $5,500. These bargains are rare and often the result of a bad engine in need of rebuild or complete replacement... The price for a good condition fully functional 04 Disco ranges around $8,500-$15,000 so I figure that if I got my hands on a "bargain" 04 Disco with a bad engine for around $4,000 and spent another $3,500+ on parts and did a DIY complete engine rebuild, then I'd be able to save afew $$$$ over a period of time plus get my hands on the rig faster. I have the garage space now to store a broken Disco and a decent collection of tools. With a rave, a resourceful LRF community and many pictures I think I could do quit well with such a project. I expect it would take me about a year to a year in a half to complete the project.

Whats everyone's take on the idea? Anyone else ever perform a complete engine rebuild on a 03-04 Disco? How long did it take you, how much did it cost you? What resources did you use to complete the project? Any additional words of thought? Lastly anyone selling a broken 03-04 Disco for cheap?

All replies and input greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You would probably need a machine shop to mill the heads, and you might want to spring for some extra to have new valve guides installed. But before that you may want a block pressure test to see if any cracked block issues. MAy save enough to buy your own Hawkeye scanner. Lots of specialty tools can be loaned from parts store.

As far as trucks for sale, www.statewidelist.com will search all of craigslist in your state, you spec Rover, price range, and it gives output by metro area. Of course, in New England you may have some frame rot issues to deal with.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 PM
TReK

Good to hear from you again! Yes I was thinking that I could have DAP Enterprise work on the heads and any of the extreamly complicated aspects, but I'd like to learn how to do most it the rebuild on my own with help from the forum community. It would be my goal to replace several internal engine components as well as the oil pump, power steering system, fan, belts, entire cooling system, exhaust and o2 seniors and new heat shields. And your correct about the rust issue. While the engine is removed I could take advantage of the time and pull everything out of the engine bay, clean out all the rust grease and dirt then apply new paint and protective coatings prior to reinstalling everything back.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, if it is a project it will consume all available time and most other resources. You'll have to put all the good divorce attorneys on retainer to block SWMBO from getting a good one. You will yearn to splash with reckless abandon through mud and creeks. But you'll be stuck inside wrenchin' on the Rover. There are basically no limits to what you can replace on a Rover. Of course, you could buy one, and a second pull out engine from a salvage yard, and rebuild the engine while you play with the original truck. When the time comes you swap engines.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Disco: Buy or rebuild cheap? Advice Inquery-wallet.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-02-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Well, if it is a project it will consume all available time and most other resources. You'll have to put all the good divorce attorneys on retainer to block SWMBO from getting a good one. You will yearn to splash with reckless abandon through mud and creeks. But you'll be stuck inside wrenchin' on the Rover. There are basically no limits to what you can replace on a Rover. Of course, you could buy one, and a seond pull out engine from a salvage yard, and rebuild the engine while you play with the original truck. When the time comes you swap engines.
I know, money talks... below are afew links to "bargains" I've stumped on here and there. The first one already sold! But these bargains are out there!

2004 SE7 Discovery - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...e7-sale-47049/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...gaskets-46804/

Old 02-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would wait, save your money and hold out for a decent running truck and not a money pit.
And buy local, one you can go test drive before committing to buying.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I'd buy a non-running 2004, but I wouldn't pay more than $2500 at the absolute max.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if your going to do a rebuild replace the head bolts with and ARP stud kit, far superior to head bolts.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:09 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
I would wait, save your money and hold out for a decent running truck and not a money pit.
And buy local, one you can go test drive before committing to buying.
Spike I "always" welcome your input in any discusion or inquery. But consider my calculations below.

1.) If I wait afew years and save up $10,000 and buy a decent to great 04 Disco, eventualy woudent I need to perform an engine rebuild anyways? Weather thats a year after I make the purchase or 4 years thereafter. No engine lasts forever and I very well intend on using my 04 Disco for many years to come. So an engine replacement or rebuild seems invitable. Add the cost of the truck plus the engine rebuild and thats somewhere around $15,000-18,000.

2.) If I buy a $3,500 04 Disco with a bad engine, pull out the engine and rebuild it with new parts... buy the time all is said and done Im looking at around $9,000 grand total for both the truck and a new engine (assuming a complete DIY engine rebuild would price to around $5,000). That would still be euqual or cheaper than waiting and buying a good working 04 Disco. Plus I would reap the benifits of free knowledge aqquired through the project from its start to finnish.

3.) With a 2 lot garage in my graspe and plenty of time and space to store the project 04 Disco, I could perform the rebuild gradually over the course of a year. In the mean time I have a 4 cylinder car that saves me $$$$ on gas and will continue to be my daily commuter so unlike recent times, now I wont be without a vehicle nor dependent on a working Disco lol.

My therory is that once an engine is mastered and rebuilt, everything else in terms of mechanical work becomes alot less complicated and cheaper (assuming the engine rebuild is the most expensive and time consuming task in the entire Disco)... So with that said what is your take now Spike? Do you think I have an good arguement worth shooting for a broken 04 Disco or do you think my calculations are lacking? Again I always welcome and respect your opinion.

RE: drowssap:
Thanks for the tip on the ARP stud kit! I will certainly look into that. Which reminds me... IF I manage to get as far as an engine rebuild once I aqquire an broken 04 Disco, I'd like to swap out alot of genuine engine componets for upgraded more durable long lasting componets. Any other tips on replacement aftermarket engine parts?

Old 02-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

But here is the thing, yes all engines have a limited life, but you have no idea how long that life will be, if you take care of the engine it can last well into the 200,000 mile range.
So if you buy a '04 with 100,000 miles on it it will not cost $10,000 and it still has 100k of life left.
And lets be honest, how many miles a year do you expect to drive it? 10k? 12k?
So lets even be generous and say you drive it 15,000 miles a year, thats still 6.5 years worth of driving.
Buying a neglected car is with the intent of fixing it up is always a bad idea unless it is a hobby and you have nothing but time and money.

Quick Reply: 2004 Disco: Buy or rebuild cheap? Advice Inquery