General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2004 Disco: Buy or rebuild cheap? Advice Inquery

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi: I'm new to Rovers and I'm interested in buying a discovery. I have a 10K budget. I love the look of them, I've heard of the legendary performance but the reliability issues, pricey and hard-to-find parts, and other problems intimidate me. I would like to think of myself as handy but in reality I am a learning do-it-yourselfer who is picking up on everything as I go. I am 20, need to drive a distance to university and this would be my full time vehicle to replace my current jeep.

Can some of you guys point me in the right direction, suggestions, opinions, etc? Thank you

Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DewYouKnow8
Hi: I'm new to Rovers and I'm interested in buying a discovery. I have a 10K budget. I love the look of them, I've heard of the legendary performance but the reliability issues, pricey and hard-to-find parts, and other problems intimidate me. I would like to think of myself as handy but in reality I am a learning do-it-yourselfer who is picking up on everything as I go. I am 20, need to drive a distance to university and this would be my full time vehicle to replace my current jeep.

Can some of you guys point me in the right direction, suggestions, opinions, etc? Thank you
Go to the DI tech section, there is a "what to look for" thread.
Parts are not hard to find, you just need to know where to look.
If you have more questions after reading the what to look for thread please start a new thread and ask any question you may have.
We are glad to help.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:45 AM
4wd Low

Thank you @spike555

Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Returning back to LRF, I continue my search for a 2004 Land Rover Discovery. On occasion I have stumped onto fairly cheap 2004 Disco's ranging between $3,500 - $5,500. These bargains are rare and often the result of a bad engine in need of rebuild or complete replacement... The price for a good condition fully functional 04 Disco ranges around $8,500-$15,000 so I figure that if I got my hands on a "bargain" 04 Disco with a bad engine for around $4,000 and spent another $3,500+ on parts and did a DIY complete engine rebuild, then I'd be able to save afew $$$$ over a period of time plus get my hands on the rig faster. I have the garage space now to store a broken Disco and a decent collection of tools. With a rave, a resourceful LRF community and many pictures I think I could do quit well with such a project. I expect it would take me about a year to a year in a half to complete the project.

Whats everyone's take on the idea? Anyone else ever perform a complete engine rebuild on a 03-04 Disco? How long did it take you, how much did it cost you? What resources did you use to complete the project? Any additional words of thought? Lastly anyone selling a broken 03-04 Disco for cheap?

All replies and input greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Are you still looking to buy? If so, where are you located? My car seems to fit your description perfectly!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I expect it would take me about a year to a year in a half to complete the project.

Whats everyone's take on the idea?
It took you a week, at least, to replace a rotoflex. At this stage you should allow about 5 years for an engine rebuild

Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 PM
4th Gear

Returning back to LRF, I continue my search for a 2004 Land Rover Discovery. On occasion I have stumped onto fairly cheap 2004 Disco's ranging between $3,500 - $5,500. These bargains are rare and often the result of a bad engine in need of rebuild or complete replacement... The price for a good condition fully functional 04 Disco ranges around $8,500-$15,000 so I figure that if I got my hands on a "bargain" 04 Disco with a bad engine for around $4,000 and spent another $3,500+ on parts and did a DIY complete engine rebuild, then I'd be able to save afew $$$$ over a period of time plus get my hands on the rig faster. I have the garage space now to store a broken Disco and a decent collection of tools. With a rave, a resourceful LRF community and many pictures I think I could do quit well with such a project. I expect it would take me about a year to a year in a half to complete the project.

Whats everyone's take on the idea? Anyone else ever perform a complete engine rebuild on a 03-04 Disco? How long did it take you, how much did it cost you? What resources did you use to complete the project? Any additional words of thought? Lastly anyone selling a broken 03-04 Disco for cheap?

All replies and input greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Are you still looking to buy? If so, where are you located?

Old 02-08-2013, 02:15 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 Disco Available - bad engine

We have a 2004 Disco with under 41,000 miles for sale. Our mchanic said the head gasket needs to be replaced. Other than the engine the car is in great shape and has new tires. We are located on Long Island - please let me know if you have any interest.