General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 LR3 V8 cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:15 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 LR3 V8 cranks but won't start

Similar problem to others have had but wanted some direction to help diagnose (local dealer is clueless)

Problem occurs intermittently (2 x so far) when cold. Autostart function causes it to crank but not fire. Fault codes shown are "Tailgate open", "parking brake fault", "check brake pads"

Had it towed to the dealer last time. Started fine for them. They replaced battery and air filter. I requested fuel pump relay too. Worked fine for a week. This morning, same problem again.

How do I diagnose if it is fuel related, cam sensor or something else?

Old 02-16-2014, 05:00 PM
6th Gear
Default Fuel system check

Go get yourself a fuel pressure guage from an auto part store. They are about $50 and hook it up to your fuel rail. Have someone else turn the ignition key to position two and see if the pump primes the fuel rail. You should have pressure build up rapidly, if you don't you probably have a bad fuel pump. If you have pressure then its something else.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:09 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks. I may have to do that, but I tried taking one of the ignition coils off the plug, putting a screw inside and seeing if I could get a spark against the manifold - nothing. I therefore presume it's a sensor. Any way to diagnose which sensor is out?

Anyone know why I get this strange collection of unrelated and incorrect error messages?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:18 PM
6th Gear

If you have a bad sensor, then you might have a check engine light and might be able to check codes for free at like autozone. If you do not have a check engine light, then you are going to need to buy a tool that is going to run over $500. I assume that when you took it into the dealer they ran everything to check sensors and found nothing. Here is what I would do, get your rover manual out and check the resistance of the coils to see if they match what your manual says they should. Then to properly check for spark you can get some lights, they have a name for them I can't remember and hook them up before the coil, so you do not draw to many amps, in order to see if your firing order is working correctly. Also have you checked your battery to see if there is enough cold cranking amps?

Old 02-19-2014, 09:15 AM
3rd Gear
Default The solution

So turns out it was a corroded earth wire in the rear wheel well which was part of the rear brake pad sensor and tailgate harness. This explained the brake warning lights and tailgate warning / inability to open. Must have caused the ECU not to activate fuel pump circuit or ignition.

So I'll revise my opinion on the dealership since they managed to find and fix the wire and gave me a discount on the parts they fitted the last time.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:44 AM
5th Gear

Hi. I know its a long time ago. But it seems I have the same issue.

Could you explain to me what to do?