General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 LR 2 Randomly overheats when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 06:34 PM
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cool 2012 LR 2 Randomly overheats when stopped

I have 123,000 miles on a pristine 2012 LR2. Overall the car has been wonderful for me. I use my Porsche daily and the Land Rover for anything out of town.
Three years ago while sitting at a light, the temp gauge pegged on hot. I got it moving and the temp came down. My mechanic said either fan or sensor so he
replaced both. Fast forward to last month. I've just remarried and had to move my new wife from Kansas to Florida. One week before the move I leave the car
idling and the temp gauge pegs on hot, steam under the hood. I get it home and the gauge returns to normal. Next day to Certified Land Rover Mechanic. They
can find nothing wrong with the car. Very nervous, I load up the new wife and tow a trailer 965 miles to Olathe, Kansas without the gauge ever moving above
normal. The return trip with a full trailer is the same. We drive the car daily in Tallahassee without any difficulty. Last weekend I take my wife to meet 2 of my
brothers in Clearwater, FLorida, (300 miles). No problem so far. I fill up at a station and opt for the car wash. As we pull into the car wash and just as it starts,
the air conditioning starts to blow hot, the temp gauge heads for the top. As soon as the car wash is clear I head out of there and get on the highway. At 40 mph
the temp gauge returns to normal. This happens twice more in the next hour. We decide to return home early the next morning. The trip back is without incident.
Two days back with no further incident. Should I just replace the 3 years old fan and sensor again?