General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

5687$ TOTAL REPAIR Please READ because I think I have been scammed by the Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 5687$ TOTAL REPAIR Please READ because I think I have been scammed by the Dealer

I paid to have the water pump replaced head gaskets replaced oil pan replaced transmission flushed radiator flushed a tune up and an oil change.. NOW now blinking odometer I took it back to the dealer 3 times since they so called repaired my truck it over heated when I first picked it up, and I was stranded, had to have it towed to the dealer. Then a few days later I smelled burning coolant.. may have been from the reservoir cap that had to be replaced, and then I smelled oil burning and the oil was low even though they said they fixed the oil leak, by changing the gaskets and the oil pan,... NOW the now blinking odometer shows the mileage going up but its blinking and annoying, abs hdl and tcl are all on STILL and he said I needed to replace the instrument panel.. Please advise because my car is running funny and if it was tuned up properly it would not be running rougher than before I took it into the dealer..

Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Should never have taken it to the dealer in the first place, yes, you did get screwed.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

During the work, the connections between the some of the modules were disturbed, and that blinking must be reset by the dealer shop computer. As an example, if you install a used cluster it blinks the odometer until this reset is done. The miles shown have to equal what is stored in the other modules.

If by overheating, you mean going way above 50% on the gauge, that is not the whole picture. The gauge will show "normal" even if the engine is running almost overheat. So looking at the coolant temp with a code scanner will tell you if it is really stable in the 195-200F area, as opposed to being 221F and showing normal. Could be that system was not purged of air properly. If any overheating, or any "water rushing thru pipes under dash" is heard, could also be exhaust gas in coolant. The dealer can do a simple chemical test to confirm this (changes color from the bubbles in the coolant). IMHO you would want to know what temps are doing. You can also buy the tester from a parts store, does multiple tests, about $60.

Do dealers make mistakes? Sure, because they employee humans. The work you have described could also have been done by an indy shop, or even a dedicated DIY mechanic (parts would have been under $500).

The three amigos lights may require a lot more than a cluster, usually the problem lies elsewhere (search for Three Amigos).

Seems like you and the general manager of the dealer need to have a polite conversation. Not angry, but firm.

If you paid by credit card, AMEX and other card providers have very robust dispute systems.

Attached Thumbnails 5687$ TOTAL REPAIR Please READ because I think I have been scammed by the Dealer-block_test_fluid.jpg   5687$ TOTAL REPAIR Please READ because I think I have been scammed by the Dealer-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg  
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Overlanding

I paid with a CC and I plan on disputing the charges. I am sick right now.. I am wondering why it seems to be stalling since it had the tune up.. I will be in contact with Visa and have been in touch with the service manager.. who keeps trying to tell me its just an old disco ii.. its a 2000 with now 130K miles..
:conf used:

Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Overlanding
Lightbulb

THANK YOU FOR THE REASSURANCE.. But Im gonna need my money back or some of it, and I would like to know if I can find a mechanic that will back me.. ?? Where to look.. ///

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
During the work, the connections between the some of the modules were disturbed, and that blinking must be reset by the dealer shop computer. As an example, if you install a used cluster it blinks the odometer until this reset is done. The miles shown have to equal what is stored in the other modules.

If by overheating, you mean going way above 50% on the gauge, that is not the whole picture. The gauge will show "normal" even if the engine is running almost overheat. So looking at the coolant temp with a code scanner will tell you if it is really stable in the 195-200F area, as opposed to being 221F and showing normal. Could be that system was not purged of air properly. If any overheating, or any "water rushing thru pipes under dash" is heard, could also be exhaust gas in coolant. The dealer can do a simple chemical test to confirm this (changes color from the bubbles in the coolant). IMHO you would want to know what temps are doing. You can also buy the tester from a parts store, does multiple tests, about $60.

Do dealers make mistakes? Sure, because they employee humans. The work you have described could also have been done by an indy shop, or even a dedicated DIY mechanic (parts would have been under $500).

The three amigos lights may require a lot more than a cluster, usually the problem lies elsewhere (search for Three Amigos).

Seems like you and the general manager of the dealer need to have a polite conversation. Not angry, but firm.

If you paid by credit card, AMEX and other card providers have very robust dispute systems.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

An old Disco is one like mine 183K, 1997. Plenty over 200K. Yours is hardly broke in. But it does sound like it is still broken. You may not get money back, but you'll get the attention of management at the dealer and repairs may have to be reworked. Market price for indy HG job seems to be in the $1800 - $2500 range (about 12 hours shop time plus $200 machine shop work). DIY the parts for HG are about $300. You may need to pay an indy shop a couple of hours for an inspection, but be cautious of what you do during dispute that might void any warranty of the work. Lawyers get paid extra to write those tiny words that control our lives.

Now you did decide to pay the premium price for what should have been premium service. However they most likely gave you some sort of estimate in advance that you signed to commission the work. Tossing around the word "scam" may not get the results you want. But when you go to a dealer you have every right to expect competent service, after all they have all the books, all the specialty tools, the shop computer, training, etc. They have no need to cut corners or take short cuts.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-08-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

what did they tell you it was going to cost? or did you not get an estimate? what dealer did the work? Did they tell you they were addressing the 3 amigos lights or did you just expect them to?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Overlanding
Default Estimate was around 6K

I had the transfer fluid changed and the differential checked as well. there was ALOT of so called work done, and the dispute has been filed. I am taking it to another rover mechanic because I am a lady and I only know how to check my oil, get the oil changed, replace the head lights and brake lights and get any and all necessary work done.. but that is where I get screwed.. Because I am a woman, they think I do not do my research.. You guys are more competent than the ones trained to work on LRs and RRs Thanks again for the support Feeling a little better

Old 01-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Overlanding

I took Big Red as I call her to Manhattan Range Rover.. I did get an estimate and told them to do the work I also told them my 3 AMIGOS were on and not to worry about those because I do not go off roading.. I told them to check the differential fluid and transfer fluid flush the transmission and radiator because it had to be done anyway with the water pump and oil pan plus gaskets being replaced as well as change the oil filter and replace my oil.. which was 2 quarts low when I took it back the next day.. Pissed can not explain the feeling I have and if I am coming off as abrasive that is not my intent. I gave the go ahead to repair what was needed so Big Red and I do not have to part ways.. I love my truck and she knows it. <3 <3 <3

Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Overlanding

I trusted the dealership and got f&*(*d RAW..

Quick Reply: 5687$ TOTAL REPAIR Please READ because I think I have been scammed by the Dealer