General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Disco cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Disco cranks but won't start

Hello,
I've been using this site for quite a while and finally have the need to enter a post of my own. Usually I can find some helpful info that solves my problem but I've been trying to get my 97 Disco running for a few months now and need some assistance. I posted this in the wrong area at first.

Problem: The car won't start. It will crank and crank and never turns over.

What has happened:
A few months ago I replaced my fuel pump and filter, drove for 1 week then blew a heater hose. The car got hot but didn't overheat (gauge made it to the top of the bracket but not further, thermostat is only ~2000 miles old). While blowing steam it was also spraying some oil and it stalled as I pulled over. I then bypassed the heater core with the one remaining hose and let it cool for a while. It has not started since.

At that point I was thinking no spark, tested and saw orange rather than blue spark so I replaced plugs and wires. That made no change and after cranking there is plenty of pressure in the rail so got a new coil pack...no change.

Then, after reading more posts from here, I replaced the CKP or crank shaft sensor. Still no change.

Summary:
New fuel pump, filter, plugs, wires, coil pack and CKP sensor

I have checked all connections to ECU and fuel relay (look pretty nice). Plenty of fuel in the rail (no pressure test just a paper towel and screw driver).

Inertia switch checked several times. Tried the turn key to position II for 5 secs, three times. Have disconnected the battery to reset the ECU. No codes right now but when this all started I pulled a few about misfires and O2 errors.

Now I'm thinking either the injector relay or fuel pressure regulator. Any thoughts or comments will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

I should also mention that gas smell is very strong after cranking especially if I touch the throttle and I have tried spraying starter fluid into the manifold past the butterfly.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your vent system for the tank hooked up right? If your tank is not venting you are vapor locking the fuel system and you will no be able to start the Rover. Had the same issue on time I forget which rover it was I have had a few.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:53 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty sure the venting is ok as I drove it for a week after replacing the pump and filter. Is there something I can check or do to un-do vapor lock?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What scanner r u using? Not all codes can be readed by some scanners.