General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Air system mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air system mod

Since my 4.0 SE has been converted to coil springs I have been thinking of tapping into the air tank with a quick disconnect for a air line and putting the compressor on a switch so I can use it to air up tires, air mattresses for camping, etc.... Anyone tired this/done this and if so what is involved in this

Old 05-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Air system mod

Not a chance in the world, it will burn out real fast and is not designed for much presure. Post it up for sale and use the money to buy a good compressor set up.
Mike

Old 05-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Three Wheeling

ok, got another question, gonna mount a 12,000 lbs warren electric winch on my RR, I figured I should change out the battery for a deep cycle battery but I started thinking maybe I should run a second battery for the winch and off-road lights. Is that overkill or a good idea? Also what about the altenator, I have a feeling the stock one may not be enough.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Administrator

I am running dual red tops for my 9500# warn, they work really well and handle my Engel and 3 HID lights.
12,000#er pulls alot of amps and dual something would be to your benefit.
I don't belive deep cycle batterys are worth the extra expense, I paid $99 apiece for my red tops.
One thing you can't do per Optium is run two different batterys together, voids their warranty.
The other thing I belive in is not not run a dual battery switching system, I tied mine together for lots of extra amps when needed, also keeps the winch motor running cooler.
Mike

Old 05-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Without running the swicthing system you don't have any issues with one of the batteries being fully charged and causing the Altenator regulator to shut off and not charge the other battery? I had an old ford once with a second battery for the cab over camper and it got drained but because the main one was charged the altenator didn't properly charge the drained one and over night the main discharged into the second until they equalized and I couldn't start it in the morning til I got a jump. I am also trying to figure out just were to put a second battery, there is not alot in the way of extra space under the hood and I would like to keep the battery as close to the winch as possible for obvious reasons, any suggestions or ideas? Last, did you have to do any upgrading to your altenator amprage output after adding the second battery or will the stock one be able to handle the increased load?

Old 05-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Administrator

E-mail me at mikeljacobs@***.net and I'll send you a couple of pictures from under the hood.
Mike