General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Are all my electrical problem caused by a faulty BECM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all my electrical problem caused by a faulty BECM?

I have a 2001 Range Rover 30th Anniversary Edition HSE 4.6 (P38) with only 30K original miles. Here are the problems I am experiencing (I am quite handy and able to do minor mechanical and electrical repair): 1) Navigation system stop working - The display screen is on but no info is displayed. None of the controls works. I cannot turn the screen off. There is power to the navigation CD unit at the back of the car (the LEDS are on). I may have a faulted unit? 2) The radio is not working correctly: I can turn the radio on but the volume control is stuck (cannot adjust volume) and sound is coming from the rear speakers only. Here is what is strange - when I remove fuse #8 from the Body Electronic Control Module (under the passenger side front seat), the AC control will not work BUT the radio will work absolute correctly with all functions and control enabled. When I re-inserted fuse #8, the Ac control function again but the radio will not function (as I described above). Do I have I faulted radio or a faulted Body Electronic Control Module? 3) Central Door Locking system problem: When I am driving with the door unlocked, the locking system will cycle on and off (lock and unlock) by itself until I lock (push the driver side lock button down) the doors. Vibration is not the cause of this problem - I banged on the each door near the lock buttons and have no effect. Is this also a Body Electronic Control Module problem? What else can cause this problem? Are all these problems I have related to a faulted Body Electronic Control Module? Would someone please suggest a good mechanic or dealer in the Miami Beach area. Please help.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Man oh man I have no clue.
It is very possible that it is a BCU problem, or it could be a ground problem, could be alost anything.
How old is the battery?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the cycling of the locks could very well be the driver door latch, seen it a few times. but disconnect the connector that supplies power to the hvac module and see if the radio functions. if it doesnt its an issue with wiring. if it does then its the becm.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:56 AM
4th Gear

The brattery is brand new.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:11 AM
4th Gear

Rovin4life, Thanks for the advice. When I remove fuse #8 from the BECM, which provides power to the AC control, the Radio comes back alive and will work properly. Re-inserting fuse #8 will again kill all the Radio control (radio will turn on but non of the sound controls (volume, balance, fade, etc.) works. Does this indicate a BECM problem?

Also, I have had similar locking problem when the car was less than a year old. The dealer fixed the problem under warrenty - not sure what was done but I am quite certain that the BECM was not changed out.