General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alternator Issues...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 03:09 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Issues...

Let me introduce myself, My name is Jonathan, and a few years ago I bought a 1991 Range Rover Classic County.

About a year ago, the alternator stopped charging the battery, I replaced it with a new alternator from a local friend who runs a Maxi auto shop. Shortly after I noticed that I was still running out of electricity. I started checking around with my volt meter, and found that after starting the rover, I was running below 12 volts... on average between 10.5 - 11.5 volts. I then revved the engine once, and check the volt meter again, and it was 13-something. So upon a cold start of the motor, the alternator wasn't charging, but after a rev, it was back up to normal.

So for about 6 months, I just made it a habit of revving my engine once every time I started up, and didn't have any issues... then one day, I noticed the battery was running low again, and revving didn't help any more. So I disconnect the positive lead from the alternator, started up the motor, and took a voltage test directly from the alternator, which showed .37 volts. I tried revving the engine and it did not change. I returned the alternator to my friend who traded it out for another one. This alternator worked perfectly fine for several weeks, but now it is showing .3 volts as well! Sometimes if I rev the engine, it will kick up and start charging the battery, but most of the time, it will not.

This issue has made me loose confidence my my Range Rover, so I'm afraid to drive it anywhere.

Any ideas?