General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Antifreeze substitute for '03 Range Rover

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze substitute for '03 Range Rover

Hey folks - need some advice.

'03 Range Rover specifies Texaco AFC antifreeze (Blue and very expensive).

Called local RR dealer about a substitute. Service Mgr said I have to go with the Texaco. He didn't know the exact fluid name and he transferred me to Parts. Parts mgr said I can use an extended life product such as Preston DEXCOOL as long as I don't mix these (ie drain and refill).

Anyone verify that?

Thanks
Bob

Old 05-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Antifreeze substitute for '03 Range Rover

You don't really want to mix any of the types...but I believe you can use any of 'em in most engines as long as you flush then fill.

How expensive is the Texaco blue stuff? The Dexcool has its own very long list of potential negatives that could very well outweigh the cost of the blue stuff. A pretty common thing among us Blazer owners is to switch from the factory Dexcool to the classic green stuff. Even though it is still Organic Acid Tech. (extended life), it doesn't have the susceptibility to acidify and eat the aluminum like the Dexcool does.

If you get ANY air in a Dexcool system, the coolant turns a muddy brown (instead of a nice orange), clumps and sludges, clogs passages, and eats away at the aluminum if left long enough. I'd say stick with the reccomended Texaco or go green.