Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery carpet removal and substitute?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery carpet removal and substitute?

Hey guys this is my first post on the boards so hello to everybody!

I've just purchased my fist Disco, I don't know a fat lot about motors so hoping to learn how to do my own maintenance etc from the forums. Ive puchased the disco at a fairly cheap price, two owners 140k miles and from what I can see is not a rust bucket. The arches have been repaired and the rest of it seems fine. The boot floor is original, after lifting the carpet some rust marks but no bad corrosion.

Now the carpets arent exactly soaking but slightly damp to the touch, I'm thinking because I didnt pay a lot for it and I want it for shooting more so than anything I'm considering cutting the caarpets out in sections and the boot floor so I can easily remove them to dry them at a later date. Also if there is any damage I can patch it up and then probably paint the floors after treating any rust to help prevent it.

Is there a good substitute for the original carpet like rubber inserts that wont hold water and can be removed and hosed off? What has everyone else done to there's?

Final question, I believe they are the rear wings. They were flagged as an advisory with the MOT that the bolt underneath that holds the wing stable has corroded on each side so if you pull the wing there is a little give in it. Is there a good way of strapping that back on as the ally wing cant be welded.

Regards

Brett

Old 03-04-2013, 01:48 AM
Mudding

Welcome. there is a lot of info here on rust repair and such.

the carpet system is already in sections and can be removed quite easily from the vehicle. autozone/walmart sell cheap carpet replacements that are just about as thick as the discos OE carpets. (it even comes in camo). there are also some other carpet suppliers you can check out.

grab a good set of tools(sears has craftsmen tools on sale now up to 60% off certain kits), use the search button, ask questions, download the rave manual from www.roveresource.com this is the best manual for learning to work on the disco.

when it comes to a rubber flooring you could find some rubber flooring from a food industry supplier that may work. but replacing the rubber/whatever the hell it is padding under the carpet with a true rubber molded pad under new carpet could be the best bet. that way you could take the carpeting out as needed and wipe clean the rubber. though you run into the same problem as the original design and that is water getting under the rubber. so maybe screw the carpet or rubber and go straight to spray/paint on bedliner material for the best solution to flooring.

also there isnt just water there magically, depending on where floor is wet at you may have other concerns such as heater core, leaking sun roofs, or just general water entry problems i.e. holes in the roof or sills. make sure whatever path you choose to track down the water entry point and remedy the problem.

again welcome. post often and help where you can, update us on fixes when found so they can be shared with the rest of the community.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:19 AM
Mudding

also in the signature line of your profile tell us a bit about your disco such as year, sub model, any work completed and any mods. as there are differences in certain model years for the disco 1. ill avoid discussing what years are d1 and d2 since that is subjective depending on country of inteded orgin. ie NAS trucks vs euro trucks vs aus trucks and release dates.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Rock Crawling

Just take it all out, repare any rust, and bedline the **** out of it. I got that tan bedliner and did my entire floor of the truck and no regrets. I did however cut out the tunnel carpets and kept that in place for aesthetics (covering the wires there) and for heat control during the summer.

Or, you can just take out your carpet, and let it dry. The foamy black rubber **** underneath the carpet will take days to dry, and plan on letting it sit and dry for days every time you get it wet.

As for carpet replacement, like a previous poster said, Wally Land has carpet, but you would be better taking it to Home Depot, or a carpet store (not sure if you have one around you) and have them either match it up for you, or get something better. Like hot pink.

Wings?

Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Does help to spot your location in the signature. As an example, you may not have a Wally land in your land.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:29 AM
2nd Gear

Just to clear it up im from the UK so some of the stores I cant get too.

Ive removed the carpets they were sodden, tore up the sound proofing and was scared at what I would find. I was shocked to find apart from a bit of surface rust the floors were absolutely mint all original. I wire wooled the surface rust and hammerite painted the lot. Just have rubber mats down whilst the carpets dry. Will probably get something different to soundproof the floor with.

The wings I speak about are above the rear wheels on the bodywork there's a bolt that holds the bodywork to the car. That corrodes and the arch is a bit flappy if you pull it. Its an advisory on my MOT. How do you fix this?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is the bracket I am thinking of I would just use some steel or aluminum and bend up a new bracket. You could adhere it to the inside of the wing with heavy bodied epoxy like PC-7 or J-B Weld and bolt the other end back to the stock mounting point.