General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Arghh!! Just brought car & its not starting!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:14 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arghh!! Just brought car & its not starting!

Hello,
Can anyone help me please, I have just brought a 1992 V8 Land Rover Discovery (my first Rover buy). I was driving it for 2 days and it felt like the clutch cable snapped, so i took it to the garage and the clutch cylinder had to be repalced, not great after 2 days of getting it!
Then, later that day after leaving the garage, it stalled on me while i was at traffic lights. I managed to get it going again and got home, but i had to keep the revs up, as it was really wanting to stall again.
In the morning i turned it over and it started fine, great! But 2 minutes later it wasn't even turning over, so it is doing absolutely nothing now, just sitting there. The dash warning lights come on but nothing else happens.
Im think it might be the electrics in the car as i know they have a tendancy to go wrong in the older disco's, and it is 16 years old! OR it could be the battery?
I would love to sort the problem out myself and as a new Land Rover owner, i dont know if i am being stupid and missing something simple out?
Can anyone help me please?
Also, should i always be in the high diff gear when driving normal road conditions?
Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/11306/800D767033814E65BF3249B10FDC782F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-31-2008, 12:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Arghh!! Just brought car & its not starting!

I don't know if that year discovery had O2 sensors but, if it does you may want check the O2 sensors or it might possibly be a MAF sensor. In either case it sounds like your engine is flooding or its not getting enough fuel. So it could be a sensor flooding the engine or it could be that your fuel pump is going out... I do not know to much about the 1992 discovery and how computerized it was but you may want to start looking into those things I listed. The first thing I would do is take it to a good autoshop and have them just run a basic test on the fuel pump to see if its ok. You may also want to get a good code scanner for the car, that is if it has the capability to connect to one, and see if you can find the codes listed off because, it will help you diagnose the problem more accurately. To get a faster response you may want to start asking questions in the Discovery section of the Land Rover Forums.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:15 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Arghh!! Just brought car & its not starting!

Thanks alot for the advice, in fact, i am doing exactly that! My friend and i are working on it tonight to try and find the problem, if we fail and we still cant get it started, we are towing it to the garage to get it all tested over. Hopefully once its all done, ill finally be able to drive and enjoy it!