General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Battery Light, then systems shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Light, then systems shutdown

My battery light was on when I started the truck this morning. I have a 2003 RR HSE. The temperatures were in the teens last night which is why I assumed the light was on. Driving down the road it would go off and on. When I got on the highway, it stayed on steadily. When I got close to the office and subsequently drove slower since I was not on the highway, the ABS light came on and error messages such as air suspension disabled, tramission prog. disabled and others started flashing. I'm sure all in relation to the battery issue.

I'm wondering if I have a battery problem due to the cold weather last night or a bigger issue such as alternator, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Battery Light, then systems shutdown

Don't wonder, go to your local auto parts store and have them both tested, one or both is failing and in the future don't assume anything when a light comes on, go have it tested so you don't cost yourself even more money in tow bills.
By the way if it is the battery, buy the best battery you can,Range Rovers are very hard on batteries so think Yellow Top from Optima or a Oddsey battery, both are advertised on,
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/
You need this type of battery due to the amp draw from all the computers that will kill a standard battery.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will do. Thanks Mike.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the batt light is on it is almost surely the alternator! The alternator is cooled by the engine coolant on this BMW engine. So the cold weather may have contributed. check batt too, very important as Disco Mike describes.