General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bottom pulley wobbly

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottom pulley wobbly

Hi all, this is my first post (besides my introduction post) so go easy :-)

Recently acquired my 1995 Disco 30 TDi and have already done a couple of little jobs (filters, rear windows not working, bad earth in rear lights etc) and today I took it to a friend, as I dont have a vice, to change the tention pulley bearing for a new one, It was 'chirping' like a good un! During this time we notice, with the engine running, that the bottom crankshaft pulley was wobbling, almost looking like it was warped. Anyways I have ordered a new one from Paddocks but I just wandered if anyone knew if this was a common fault on Disco 1's and how this happens?

Many thanks.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:51 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if its wobbly then its loose.

if the bolt is tight then the crankshaft is suspect.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Overlanding

Jesus, thats not what I wanted to hear! LOL. We had a check and it didn't seem loose. I guess I'll soon find out when we fit the new pulley on Wednesday, I'll post to let you know. Better start searching online for crankshaft

Old 08-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

If you can carefully observe the balancer, does it appear to be wobbling? I'd guess the pulley took a hit and was slightly bent. I'm also assuming the pulley bolts to the balancer - never been that close to a diesel LR.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And on the gas engine trucks, that front crank pulley bolt is not so easy to remove. Jam starter; or use long wrench against ground and crank truck; or use old fan belt around pulley, thru a piece of cheater pipe, vise-grip belt to keep it tight on pulley, brace against fame, then use another long breaker bar to back off that bolt. Just a few ideas, I have heard that bolt has the highest torque of anthing on the engine, if not the whole truck. Guess it is even heavier duty on the diesel.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Banzai Jimmy
If you can carefully observe the balancer, does it appear to be wobbling? I'd guess the pulley took a hit and was slightly bent. I'm also assuming the pulley bolts to the balancer - never been that close to a diesel LR.
Fortunately I have a mechanic friend who only works on Land Rovers, I have picked up a lot and am not adverse to getting my hands dirty but I do like to know what i`m going into beforehand. Whats a balancer? LOL

Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
And on the gas engine trucks, that front crank pulley bolt is not so easy to remove. Jam starter; or use long wrench against ground and crank truck; or use old fan belt around pulley, thru a piece of cheater pipe, vise-grip belt to keep it tight on pulley, brace against fame, then use another long breaker bar to back off that bolt. Just a few ideas, I have heard that bolt has the highest torque of anthing on the engine, if not the whole truck. Guess it is even heavier duty on the diesel.
Thanks for the advice, my friend will be doing the fix, I have a new crankshaft pulley coming tomorrow. I`ll be replacing the tensioner bearing while he does the pulley. I believe he has a good technique for getting the bolt off.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You have a valuable friend indeed. Perhaps the Rover can carry a case or two of the preferred beverage required on such warm days as we are "enjoying" now. Would think that if crank was wobbly you would be have issues with front crank oil seal. While you have the pulley off, that seal is fairly inexpensive (like less than a gallon of fuel).

Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Overlanding

I`ll bear that in mind on Weds when we are working on it.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
on such warm days as we are "enjoying" now.
Now i`m just jelous! If only we were getting the same warm days here in the UK, it is the height of summer after all

Ill be taking delivery of new pulley (and tensioner bearing) today so I'll post back tomorrow when the job is done.

Quick Reply: Bottom pulley wobbly