General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is this brake or diff. leak???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 10:22 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvw57
I'd guess it is axle grease as brake fluid is more clear, but depending on how much road dirt is on the components, it could look darker. bu my guess is grease.
..I was hoping for brake fluid since the Recall will take care of it
Do you know if this fix is an expensive one??

Old 03-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Re check the clip on the axle booth first , at hi rpm grease is easier to get through , check the booth again , because if you never changed the booth before , it now 8 yrs old , you did say 2007 model right ... a crack on the rib if the booth can not be detected unless its being flexed ..so it may seem good but it may not be ... the colour you are stating points to axle grease the only coloured thing in that area.... jack it up and turn the wheels check it again , clip as well,

this problem brought back memories here.....

Old 03-30-2015, 07:52 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justryan
Re check the clip on the axle booth first , at hi rpm grease is easier to get through , check the booth again , because if you never changed the booth before , it now 8 yrs old , you did say 2007 model right ... a crack on the rib if the booth can not be detected unless its being flexed ..so it may seem good but it may not be ... the colour you are stating points to axle grease the only coloured thing in that area.... jack it up and turn the wheels check it again , clip as well,

this problem brought back memories here.....
yes Justryan..I believe it is axle grease!..I spotted a small hole in the booth..but is it all its keeping the grease in or is there a seal ring inside the axle to be replaced?..sorry newby girl here
Im probably going to have the dealership fix it...any idea of the cost???
Thanks

Old 03-31-2015, 07:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Under high RPM ,and the laws of gravity ,grease would be slapped around the inside of the booth forcing it to come through the smallest of hole even ...

All you need there is a new , booth , clip , and grease , the work involve to change it will be the greater cost ...

fill a balloon with some water , make a pin hole in it ,you will see drops coming of it, then swing it around over your head in circles , it sprays now doesn't it ....

don't worry about it , ( being a newbie ) every day we live ....every day we learn !!!

The following users liked this post:
CATTIVA73 (04-01-2015)