General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Rebuild Part Recommendations for LR3

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Rebuild Part Recommendations for LR3

I tried squeezing this into another thread on rotor condition that's currently active, but thought it could probably use it's own thread, especially for others that come searching.

Anyway, I need to order pads, rotors, sensors, etc to replace front and rear brakes on my 2005 LR3.

I've ordered LR genuine parts from Atlantic British before w/o issue, but their high end EBC kits (whoever they are) are only $120 more. So, if they are much better, I'd go that route.

By that same token, if their $329 kits with "standard" rotors and Textar pads are of similar quality, I'd happily go that route too.

On the other hand, if I should be looking to source parts individually (i.e. someone recommended ceramic Akebono pads), I'd welcome any suggestions on that end as well.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I already suggested that if you wanted good pads, to order Akebono ceramic pads which will last much long, spot better, don't squeak and don't make dust.
As for the rotors any standard rotor will work, but if you want to up grade then consider DBA slotted and drilled rotors which are far better then the EBS. This whole set could be, if ordered right, purchased for around $650 plus brake fluid and your labor.
If you want more help with this, PM me your number and I'll call you.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Drifting

Wanted to post this here for others that come looking ...

Looks like DBA might not even make rotors for the LR3. If they do, it might be the 4000 series, which run around $425 a pair.

I'm guessing EBC is the next best thing.

If anyone knows otherwise on DBA rotors for the LR3, please post it here.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

I don't have an LR3. Look at it this way, regardless of what you order you'll be ahead quality and money than if you took it to a shop(non dealer).
I usually take the money I save by doing the work myself and buy the good stuff. And I still have money left for a six pack or two to help the work go smoother.
Just buy something, if its not bottom barrel stuff you'll be fine.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my rotors into OReilly and had them skimmed for $15 each as they were still in spec. Bought Ferodo pads. LR3 stops just fine. Slotted/drilled rotors might look nice but I think maybe wasted unless you're taking your Rover to track days ;-)

Old 09-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I took my rotors into OReilly and had them skimmed for $15 each as they were still in spec. Bought Ferodo pads. LR3 stops just fine. Slotted/drilled rotors might look nice but I think maybe wasted unless you're taking your Rover to track days ;-)
My main motivation for higher end rotors/pads isn't performance, it's

a) lifetime
b) brake dust

The information I've received and found indicates that higher end pads+rotors as a combo can last 2-3x longer. Even at an extra 10k, it's probably worth the extra $300 in parts.

As for brake dust, it's horrific with stock pads. I like what I hear about some of the higher end pads (which only cost an extra $50-60 for a set of 4).

Old 09-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I have always been a fan of Textar pads, they are the OEM supplier to many brands like BMW and Land Rover and are normally a top notch pad. However, they are filthy pads and the last set I installed were noisy. They will coat the rims of my L322 with brake dust in a matter of days.

Akebono pads are a good choice. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend those.

A fairly new brand on the market is WBR (World Brake Resources - WBR - Your complete automotive brakes solution) I have tried them on a few applications and so far have been happy with them.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Drifting

Well, I was all set, or so I thought.

I was going to order the everything from the EBC brake kit on Atlantic British except the pads and order Akebono pads from another online retailer. However, I called AB to see if I could get the kit price on the remaining components and they told me that those rotors are only designed for use with EBC pads.

I've never heard of a rotor requiring a specific pad. Then again I don't know what I'm talking about.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Well, AB reconfirmed this morning that the EBC rotors should only be paired with the EBC pads. They didn't go as far as saying pairing the EBC rotors with Akebonos would be disastrous, but they were very clear that they thought going with something other than the EBC pads was a bad idea.

Still sounds like nonsense to me, but I yielded because at the end of the day I know absolutely nothing about brakes. I need the truck back on the road by Friday and can't mess around anymore.

Hopefully I don't hate the greenstuff pads.

Worst case, I live with them for a year and spend $150 on Akebonos and put them on myself.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Oh, and buying everything together saved me $60. That's not nothing.