General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brakes from hell!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes from hell!

This is my first post, but I've already been through hell with my 2000 Disco2 I've had for almost 2 years (Head Gasket to start!) I replaced all my rotors to Drilled/Slotted and Ceramic Pads last year, and lost my driver's side caliper while driving in November. Put it in my buddy's garage, wasn't really worried about getting it out quickly because my job is less than a mile away, well it sat and sat, i slowly started tinkering with it and bought all new calipers, which resulted in all new stainless lines, and even running some new hard lines due to heavy rust i saw while i was just enjoying being in the garage. Ive bled and bled and bled this damn thing to death with no luck, brake pedal goes all the way down and slowly drags the truck to a stop, Ive driven about 300 miles like this, and yesterday noticed my front passenger rotor and rear driver rotor smoking hot! while it seems like the other 2 ( front driver/rear passenger) are gathering some bits of rust and cool as ice. Master Cylinder? BTW I have been directed here through google searches and lurked on here alot you guys have guided me through so many projects I cant even list lol. Appreciate all the knowledge you guys provide! HELP!

BTW Found a parts rover I will be recieving tomorrow. Interior burnt to death, Exterior OK, Engine and underbody untouched. Bought for brake parts and mostly Rims/Tires. Want to get most of my money back, so If you guys need any parts let me know. (Near Springfield, IL)

Old 06-13-2014, 07:33 AM
Overlanding

also have none of three amigos. I do have a SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT and BRAKE light probably from excessive use of my E-Brake. Have codes P1590 P0332 and P0455. dont know if it is related or another problem (which would not be a surprise at this point.)

Old 06-13-2014, 08:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

well i'm certainly not the smarted on the site i will give you a little input. if there is a difference from front to rear it could be a master issue, but you have a side to side issue which should rule out your master.
your ABS modulator on the other hand does control pressure right to left.
How have you been bleeding your brakes and where?
have you been power bleeding using the ABS pump or similar way, manually bleeding or gravity bleeding?
have you just bleed it at the calipers or have you tried bleeding the modulator also?

Old 06-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Tell me about this parts truck...... Any chance the engine is a 4.6 and is good?
You may need to bleed the modulator which requires a computer if I'm not mistaken to open and close it and whatnot.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Overlanding

no sorry it is a 4.0 not 4.6
the reason i say master is i thought i read somewhere that the master has 2 circuits (one front and rear katty-corner) and vise versa on the other circuit. I have done 2 man bleed a thousand times, one man vaccuum bleed quite a few too, have only bled at calipers, how do you bleed it at modulator?

Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts
Old 06-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you bleeding it with the Disco on or off not running but the key in the on position.
Me and my brother were having kinda the same issue until we turn the key on and bled it down with the abs active. it seemed to work on my 95 98 and 96 it may be worth a shot. Also did you up the size of the lines brakes and calipers. If so you may need more fluid and if you up the brake caliper and rotors size and not the lines you may need bigger lines for more pressure to make the brakes grip and release properly.