General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Braking into a Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 05:22 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Breaking into a Land Rover

My husband recently purchased a 2003 Land Rover for my son which lives 45 minutes away. My son called after having it a week to tell me the key wouldnt turn in the lock. We do not have the fob for the vehicle. After reading forums and calling the closest dealership that is 2 hours away, I was informed you could not break into a Land Rover. Knowing that the alarm system would go off, I still had to try because of the items in the car were needed. Land Rover folks advised me to call the police for entry and have it towed to a dealership. Well, a sweet mexican dude and a middle aged mom CAN break into a LR. Of course the alarm system won't let me drive the car but at least we are in. From reading the forum we are going to try the door lock pin as we do have the inside door panel off. Hopefully if we can get the door lock to work we can work on shutting of the system. We did leave the battery unplugged for an hour to see if the system would reset according to the dealership......didnt work. If the pin isn't the problem we will try replacing the actuator. Pain in the butt.....car is 45 minutes away. We are not have fun with this LR! Any suggestions or similar situations?

Last edited by Jqblack; 07-08-2017 at 08:23 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 07-08-2017, 08:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Have you tried the key on the passenger side or rear hatch?

Also, try jiggling the key rather than using force.

IF...you are not referring to the door lock but instead have a key stuck in the ignition, then:

Jiggle the shifter as if you were changing gears even though you aren't, then jiggle the steering wheel a little left/right, then jiggle the key in the ignition.

Blow some graphite dust into the lock cylinders later.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:18 PM
5th Gear

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by no doubt
have you tried the key on the passenger side or rear hatch?

Also, try jiggling the key rather than using force.

If...you are not referring to the door lock but instead have a key stuck in the ignition, then:

Jiggle the shifter as if you were changing gears even though you aren't, then jiggle the steering wheel a little left/right, then jiggle the key in the ignition.

Blow some graphite dust into the lock cylinders later.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:22 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for your reply. I am referring to the driver side front door. Surprisingly that is the only lock. I did try the dust and wd40. It is like something is blocking the key from entering the whole way.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:39 PM
5th Gear

For those who may be searching for a solution as I was, here was the answer to our problem. Once we broke into the vehicle, we removed the driver side door panel and then removed the outside door handle. My son saw what was probably the lock pin blocking the key from entering the door completely. Once he removed that, he was able to connect the lock back to the actuator and turn the key to turn off the alarm. And....the dealership said this couldn't be done. Problem solved, thank goodness.

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (07-09-2017)