General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can anyone identify the model and year of this Rover

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply's. I have posted on some Land Cruiser forums but have not received any responses so I really apriciate the responses I am getting here.
I'm hoping to go over and talk to the lady about it today or tomorrow. I will post back any changes or if I can get any different pictures.
Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by senna
Thanks for the reply's. I have posted on some Land Cruiser forums but have not received any responses so I really apriciate the responses I am getting here.
I'm hoping to go over and talk to the lady about it today or tomorrow. I will post back any changes or if I can get any different pictures.
Thanks again.
What are you wanting to know? The picture is too far away and too fuzzy for anyone to give you details about the truck based on just that. If it makes a difference, there are about 10 for sale in my area for under $2500 that run and drive, some with a lot of work already done.

If you posted on Ih8mud.com hope you have thick skin, the can be a little harsh if you don't follow the rules.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:54 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I finally got to go over and take a look at it. Not as nice as I originally thought.
yloDiscoII, you asked "what I would like to know?" I guess I'd like to know if it is worth me evern trying to spend my time to fix it up just to drive around. I'm not great with cars so I would probably have to have someone take a look at it and fix some of it. This is on a small farm that is getting ready to be sold, so I think I was just thinking that instead of it going to a salvage yard or someone else getting it, I'd take it. But I am wondering if it is worth my time. I took some more pictures so I will post them. My friend called and asked if we could stop over and we were told we could. We tried knocking on the door to ask about it but no one answered. So I still don't know if she would sell it or what year it is.
Thanks again for all your replies!

Attached Thumbnails Can anyone identify the model and year of this Rover-img_1098.jpg   Can anyone identify the model and year of this Rover-img_1099.jpg   Can anyone identify the model and year of this Rover-img_1102.jpg   Can anyone identify the model and year of this Rover-img_1107.jpg   Can anyone identify the model and year of this Rover-img_1109.jpg  

Old 03-16-2011, 03:47 PM
TReK

It will only be worth it to restore it if you have lots of spare time, spare cash and a spare place to store it and probably some more spare cash and patience.

I bought mine 3 years ago when I was 24, single and had nothing better to do with my spare cash and spare time. Now 3 years later, I'm married and have more work obligations and the spare time just isn't there anymore. I've put about $5K total (including all parts/accessories/labor) into mine and it isn't worth much more than when I bought it. I've put less than 1000 miles on it since I bought it.

Now for the flip-side of that coin : I love my FJ40 and plan on keeping it forever! If you can get it for cheap and have a spot to store it, do it because you can make money parting it out, or you can work on slowly restoring it. It looks like it's in decent condition beyond some algae, but I'd be willing to be there's a BUNCH of rust that you can't see, and rust sucks.

Food for thought :If those are the original wheels and they are in good shape they'll be worth $500, hard top about $500, doors about $200, misc parts and emblems will make you money too.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:51 PM
TReK

READ SOME OF THESE THREADS ---> http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...i-d-e-f-q.html

The one you're looking at is older than a '74 based on the tailights and emblems, but hard to tell exactly what year. There should be a placard on the inside driver's side door frame with the VIN and build year, etc,...