General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CAN ANYONE WALK ME THROUGH A RADIATOR REPLACEMENT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAN ANYONE WALK ME THROUGH A RADIATOR REPLACEMENT?

'03 Disco II, 75K. I just spent $1951.28 at the dealership Thursday getting new plugs and wires and, yes, the "updated ABS Modulator kit and updated ABS electrical wiring" (at least there aren't any more lights on my dash......I guess). Anyway, so I knew before I went in that I was gonna need a new radiator because I JB welded a hairline crack in mine like two weeks ago (it's still holding ). Anyway, dealer wanted $980.00 to get the job done, including the radiator, but I was thinking that it wouldn't be so hard so I have one on order and it'll be here this week..... I also need to replace my Throttle Heater Plate Gasket while I'm at it (know that's gonna be easy), but Iam wondering if there's anyone out there who can guide me through all this - I AM OUT,OUT,OUT,OUT of money at this point so I'm gonna HAVE to have a go at this stuff on my own.[:'(]

Old 12-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: CAN ANYONE WALK ME THROUGH A RADIATOR REPLACEMENT?

Get your radiator from www.performanceradiator.com, takes about 2 hours max. Two brackets on top, 4 oil lines to disconnect, remove the fan and shroud first and make sure its drained. When I did mine I changed out the hoses, clamps, fan clutch, and water pump; not a cooling issue since.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Mudding

pull the battery and battery tray,pull the air box assy,remove top shroud,fan, bottom shroud remove the side brackets that secure radiator to header remove top and bottom rad hoses, unscrew trans and engine coolers from rad ,leave cooler line attached, pull rad up and out,reverse to reinstall,have fun and take it slow... not a big deal

Old 12-30-2007, 12:08 AM
Drifting

Okay, Okay, sounds simple enough - as I thought it might. Thanks A TON! I'm kind of excited to do it actually. I recently replaced all of the hoses and stuff myself (less than amonth ago - I thought that the upper hose was leaking....turned out to be the rad itself) so I plan on reusing them obviously. Do I fill the radiator in the same way I did when I replaced the hoses? Just keepslowly pouring it into the reserve tank until coolant starts coming out of the bleeder screw, start it, check it, etc......?

Old 12-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Drifting

Just a quick update: Today I went down to the dealership and spent 24.00 on a kit for the Throttle Heater Plate. It took me about 45 minutes or so to get the job done and the newly designed plate is supposed to be much better! It was a peice of cake - really! I'll post back again when I recieve my new radiator....

Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

D-2 radiators are not as simple to replace as you might think! however there is a trick, no cooler lines or airbox removal required. just 2 hidden screws. If you havent already figured this out, I can help.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Drifting

Two hidden screws? WHERE?!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok after removing the radiator fan, shroud and hoses, you will need to remove the two plastic brackets on either side of the radiator. there are two largesilver phillips screws at the top of rad facing forward, remove, nowusing a long phillips head screwdriver go in from the front of the grille, about halfway down and push the large rubber covers outward exposing the hidden screws 1 at either end. remove these and push the rad back from the top seperating it from the brackets. now you can access the screws holding the oil coolersonto the front of the radiator remove them, and slide radiator out. As I said it is not easy, but you will save about $300+ in labor at the dealer

Old 01-12-2008, 01:50 AM
Drifting

LISTEN TO THIS!!!!! Got my radiator in the other day - finally! I used everyone's advise, along with the RAVE directions and removed my old radiator. Besides removing the cooler lines themselves (that was tough, my fingers are raw and my kuckles are all scraped up), piece of cake. Anyway, I installed the new radiator with EASE, put everything back together and start fillin' her up.................only to find that the NEW radiator leaks like there's no tomorrow. It was BRAND NEW! Long story short, after removing the old, installing the new, removing the new, and installing the old, I'm practically a professional at installing and uninstalling DiscoII radiators - The old one is back in the Rover, leaking as usual,and I've shipped back the faulty radiator and don't look at all forward to installing the replacement when it arrives next week-though I'llDEFINITELY know what I'm doing!