General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CB Radio - Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts
Default CB Radio - Review

All - I am considering purchasing a CB Radio and curious on recommendations.

I would be using the CB Radio only went off roading with friends.

I was thinking about
Amazon Amazon
as it seems to have a lot of good reviews from Amazon but, figured I will hit you all up for feedback.

Things I am wondering....do I need a big antenna.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:56 PM
Pro Wrench

UPDATE

Got all my CB Radio stuff, was poking around trying to figure out where to mount and run the cables.

I am thinking of putting the antenna on the passenger side front bumper. Anyone have a recommendation on how to run the cable from the front bumper to inside the cabin?

Also, the mounting of the actual CB Radio, I was tossing around mounting it in the cubby between the seats, any thoughts or recommendations to mount it in a different location?

Old 11-21-2018, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I've been happy with my uniden radio. I went with this one
Amazon Amazon

I mounted the 2 foot antenna on the rack and ran the cable in at the pillar tucked behind the trim. Main box is under the seat.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Consider mounting the antenna on the spare tire mount. It wouldnt affect any trim pieces and is out of the way. I believe the antenna tip needs to be above the roofline, correct me if im wrong. Eons ago i had mine mounted on the front bumper side and soon it was grabbed by a tree limb.

Not mine, similar to this

Old 11-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Pro Wrench

Thanks for the feedback, I will take a look at mounting on the rear tire holder. My antenna is 4' and I will be using a quick disconnect. Just need to figure out how to run the cable and where I am going to put the CB.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:10 PM
Pro Wrench

Ok, so I checked out the rear tire holder,

I am going to buy an "L" bracket and drill out holes on each side of the "L"
One side will be for mounting to rear tire holder, the other side will be for mounting quick release.
Will probably need to use (2) bolts for mounting to the rear tire holder.

I need to figure out a location to run the cable for the antenna as I don't like the idea of shutting the tail gate on it. I am thinking there might be an opportunity to penetrate the tail bate using the rear wiper or drilling a hole in the tail gate. I will have to remove the rear tire and explore my options.

For power, I am going to leverage the rear cigarette port on the drivers side but, use vampire clips and run the wires to the cubby. In the cubby I will drill out a hole for the antenna wire and power wires. This way everything will be hidden and when I am not using the CB, I can unmount it and toss in glove box.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:12 PM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

My antenna is mounted on the spare carrier. You can feed the antenna wire through the grommet that also carries the window washer tube, and then through other grommets between the door and the frame into the right rear cavity. From there, run up behind the trim into the roof behind the headliner and you can go where-ever you want. Mine goes all the way to the front of the truck; the CB is mounted centrally on the dash with power coming from the fuse box under the steering column.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:17 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mollusc
My antenna is mounted on the spare carrier. You can feed the antenna wire through the grommet that also carries the window washer tube, and then through other grommets between the door and the frame into the right rear cavity. From there, run up behind the trim into the roof behind the headliner and you can go where-ever you want. Mine goes all the way to the front of the truck; the CB is mounted centrally on the dash with power coming from the fuse box under the steering column.
thank you!!

Old 11-23-2018, 07:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Tire carrier is perfect spot in my opinion

Old 11-23-2018, 08:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I like my Cb up high. Easy to see, play with when driving. I bought a shorter unit by ranger. A Cb specialty shop than modified it for better range. I’m still playing with the antenna tuning but seems great. I ran the cables when I redid my headliner

Quick Reply: CB Radio - Review