General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CDL IS WINDING UP,HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDL IS WINDING UP,HELP?

WHAT WOULD CAUSE CDL TO STAY LOCKED? CDL LIGHT NOT ON SHIFTER IN CORRECT LOCATION. I'VE EVEN TAKEN A WRENCH AND TURNED NUT ON TRANSFER CASE THINKING IT WAS STUCK OR NEEDED A LITTLE MORE MOVEMENT. IN ORDER TO DRIVE DAILY ,I REMOVED FRT PROP SHAFT,SO I WOULDN'T HAVE THIS PROBLEM. ITS BEEN OUT FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW,SO I RE-INSTALLED IT LAST KNIGHT AND STILL HAVE PROBLEM(ITHOUGHT IT MAY HAVE LOOSENED UP OR BROKE LOOSE IN THE 3000 MILE WE'VE DRIVEN IT) GOT ANSWERS? BY THE WAY IT IS A 1995 DISCO 1

Old 10-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: CDL IS WINDING UP,HELP?

You drove it a YEAR without a front propshaft?

The shifter may have come loose at the top of the transfer gearbox and is not moving the lever at the bottom.

You can go under the vehicle and manually operate the diff lock at the lever on the transfer gearbox. It is right above the front drive flange.

If it is stuck internally, it's not too difficult to access. But at this point you will need the book.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So what position is your t/case shifter in, does it shift easily?
If it were mine I would remove the linkage from the nipple and shift back and forth many times to see if it frees up, if itr doesn't then you will need to go in and remove the CDL diff for inspection and repair if needed.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Drifting

where do i get the imformation on the cdl diff lock repair . a book or guide web site ?.please point me in the right direction

Old 10-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator

There isn't one. First you need to do what I suggested to rule out one possibility.
Quit driving it on the street till you get it fixed or you are going to have some pretty expensive repairs.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Drifting

question,what are you calling a nipple? what i've done so far is put a wrench on the nut at the lower part of the linkage that moves left to right. and it moves but doesn't seem to make any difference in the release of cdl. now again cdl light is not on ,but will come on when shifted to that position. shifter seems to shift fine.might not be perfict. another question .do i remove the whole transfercase to inspect/repair cdl?

Old 10-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator

No, and if you haven't been into one before I would suggest you try.
When you turn the shift nipple on the t/case full counter clock wise, does the indicator light on the dash go out?
If it does, have you tried backing up and going forward a couple of times to allow the t/case to disengage the CDL?
When the light is off, does the steering wheel lurch, when making tight turns on the pavement?
Mike

Old 01-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Drifting

yes it lurches. yes have tried all the above. i have now taked frt shaft out again