General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Changing the Transferbox oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the Transferbox oil

Ok,

I am most of the way through the 60k mile service and was wondering if anyone had done this and had some "Been the Done that" advise. My truck is on the lift, we've completed the plugs/wires, the engine flush, oil and filter change, front and rear difs, when my helper had to go back to work. I am supposed to go back to the shop in a couple of hours to help complete the servicing.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Old 04-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Changing the Transferbox oil

I've done it on other vehicles and I'm preparing to do it on my wifes 01 DII.
If you've got a LIFT it should make life alot easier. Typically there is not a drain plug for differentials and transfer cases rather a fill. You're limited to either vacuum pumping the fluid out or siphoning. Obviously the bigger the hose the better. I've changed out the fluid on rear-ends before using the typical fish-tank air-hose crap and it's painful...but doable.

Keep sucking the old out until you are reasonably satisfied that you've gotten it all, then refill with new.

I would be interested in seeing what others responses are though.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would reccommend actually removing the differential covers...a fluid change is a good time to inspect the ring and pinon, spiders, everything in there that's important. Also use a can or two of brake cleaner and be sure to get alllll of the old gear oil out before refilling.

Although if you just want a simple oil swap, siphoning would work ok...but gear oil is pretty viscous to pump..

Old 04-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Rock Crawling

there are fill and drain plugs on both diffs and the transfer case so theres no need for suction. there is no diff cover or way to access the gears unless you take the complete third member out. on the transfer case, the drain plug is at the the bottom, where it should be and the fill plug is to the left of the parking brake drum. youll need a pump to add fluid into it.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: llesra

there are fill and drain plugs on both diffs and the transfer case so theres no need for suction.
That's a sweet gig! Most differentials I've worked on only have the fill! If someone tells me that the transmission has a drain plug I may be in heaven.

not to hijack this thread but is 80/90W synthetic gear oil the recommended stuff for the transfer case and both diffs?

Old 04-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

All Discos have drain and fill plugs on the diffs as well as the t/case, alway had them.
D1's have fill tubes for the tranny while D2's don't, need to ddain then fill them thru the fill plug on the side of the tranny pan.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Overlanding

Ok,

Project 60k is complete as per the maintenance section of the Rave CD and alot of reading through Disco Mike's and many other's posts. Thank you all!!

The lift makes this a much easier job to tackle, I used a $6 hand pump from Advance Auto Parts. Drain and fill ports for both difs, xfer case, and transmission makes this a very easy job. I spent about $160 in synthetic fluids and sea foam but it sure beats whatever the dealer would've charged me, plus I got to see first hand the magnetic drain plugs and the condition of the life blood coming out of each component. We went so far as to run each fluid through paint strainers to look for possible problems. The biggest thing we found were some thin short shavings from the transfer box and they were trapped on the drain plug, nothing in the fluid. In return I have the peace of mind knowing this has been done and there is no excessive wear going on.

Again thanks to all who have posted on PM of their rovers,

Steve

Old 04-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for your post bruv. I'm working toward the 60K checkup on my wifes rig too. We've only had it since Saturday and I've already put new brake pads all the way around and did the first flush and oil change.

Tonight I'm hoping to rip the front driveshaft out and go get that rebuilt. I need to find out how to engage the CDL so the rig is still driveable.

I'll have to check the account for $$$ but maybe this weekend I'll embark on draining the diffs and doing the tranny service.

EDIT-->Pertaining to the Discovery II transmission fill plug...I guess that's better than a transmission with just a dipstick and no drain or fill plug. I absolutely HATE doing tranny services on rigs where you've got to unbolt the pan and splash ATF all over yourself. Even when I've managed to do this right, I always get covered in ATF.