General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Continuous horn sounding!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Unless they used a hose to clean the inside of your truck that is not your problem.
You can pop the buttons off of the steering wheel and remove the springs and the horn will stop.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by babybean
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and was looking for a bit of advice. We have a Discovery 2.5 TDS ES year '53 and for some unknown reason at 1 am this morning the horn started sounding but not in the way it would if the alarm was going off, it was continuous and neither buttons on the fob would silence it! My husband ran outside (in his boxers... tee he) and started the engine but that wouldn't stop it either. It went on for 5 minutes then stopped. My other half then locked the car with the key hoping that this would dissable the alarm (if hat is what it was). He got half way up the stairs and the same thing happened again, this went on (much to our children and neighbours disgust) again even when we gave up and left the car umlocked and unalarmed. As a last resort he disconnected the battery which finally stopped it. I am not sure if it could be connected but a couple of days ago the nearside rear door stopped working on the central locking meaning you had to open it from the inside each time...it is so strange as when the horn was sounding there were no lights flashing inside or outside of the car... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Same thing happenet to me with my wife's D II. this am at 12:15!!, me in my boxers at 16 degrees. I tried remotes but only pulling the horn relay worked. I am surrounded by neighbors with small babies. I'm sure I'm hated. Oh well. I will drive it in today and try to figure it out. I have heard a 1/2 stuck horn button might have done it, with temp changes settling in and expanding to make contact. Cold to hot though, would make sense. Not the other way around. I hit them repeatedly to stop the noise. That is one DAM loud horn too....

Old 01-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Rovers are not unique in this respect - a Mitsubishi pulled out of my parking lot this AM in 19 F with horns stuck/unstuck, driver frazzled. At least you had sense to grab the horn relay...

Cold could shrink the tiny sliver of insulation pad that separates the horn contacts...

Old 01-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Rdhilaire
Same thing happenet to me with my wife's D II. this am at 12:15!!, me in my boxers at 16 degrees. I tried remotes but only pulling the horn relay worked. I am surrounded by neighbors with small babies. I'm sure I'm hated. Oh well. I will drive it in today and try to figure it out. I have heard a 1/2 stuck horn button might have done it, with temp changes settling in and expanding to make contact. Cold to hot though, would make sense. Not the other way around. I hit them repeatedly to stop the noise. That is one DAM loud horn too....

It was definitely the relay. When I plugged it in gently the horn sounded. Perhaps the 6 degree temp had something to do with it. I bought new ones, but will save the old. Perhaps it just likes it warm. Also notice signals take 5 seconds or more when it's sub zero, to activate when you hit the lever. Just turn signal on 200 feet before a turn, instead of 100 feet.