General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cranks and cranks... No start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 10:13 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranks and cranks... No start.

I purchased a 2004 Land Rover Range Rover Hse 4.4 from an older gentleman that has been parked in front of the house for a couple of years. Official story is he parked it and it wouldn't start, pulled the battery, and didn't try anything else and it sat. I tend to believe this story but you never know. I picked it up cheap and hoped I could fix it as I have been successful mwith similar projects in the past.
I put a new battery in, and it cranks and cranks but will not start. First I thought it was the fuel pump, but after jumping the relay the fuel pump runs fine and builds pressure at the rail. It does not run while cranking. I also do not have spark (discovered later), so I replaced the crank position sensor (which was coated in gunk) to no avail. I've checked every fuse under the glove box and every fuse in the rear hatch for continuity and all are OK. I have a cheap scan tool but it won't pick anything up. Not sure where to go from here and I can't find anything online. I've tried a couple other things but don't want to crowd this post too much. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-06-2022, 08:35 AM
TReK
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

so you don't have spark and already changed the crank sensor. Could this be an immobilization issue? Is the security system preventing you from 'stealing' the car? Is there an EKA like there is in the older models?