General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

D2 Front Driveshaft Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:12 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 Front Driveshaft Issue?

Hi all,

First time poster, long time reader.

So I'm noticing a lot of vibration (specifically am feeling feedback through the steering wheel) after 30mph and continues to get worse as i accelerate beyond that. My first thought was my factory front driveshaft is going bad... I went under the truck and move it around to feel for play in the U joints. No play. Also, I'm not getting any of the typical "clicking" or noise from when it's moving. Not running any codes either.

What do you guys think? I'm still convinced it's the front driveshaft, but I'm hoping for some other insight before I drop $400 + on a new Tom Wood or GBR front driveshaft, hoping that it will fix the problem.

Thanks

Old 06-03-2016, 06:24 PM
4wd Low

Mods, please delete... I'm moving this over to the D2 forum. Thanks

Old 06-03-2016, 06:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by PDX Disco II
Hi all,

First time poster, long time reader.

So I'm noticing a lot of vibration (specifically am feeling feedback through the steering wheel) after 30mph and continues to get worse as i accelerate beyond that. My first thought was my factory front driveshaft is going bad... I went under the truck and move it around to feel for play in the U joints. No play. Also, I'm not getting any of the typical "clicking" or noise from when it's moving. Not running any codes either.

What do you guys think? I'm still convinced it's the front driveshaft, but I'm hoping for some other insight before I drop $400 + on a new Tom Wood or GBR front driveshaft, hoping that it will fix the problem.

Thanks
I've never been able to feel play on my failing driveshafts but I have always heard a squeak.

Is it possible that the balance weight is off of your driveshaft?

What year Disco do you have? Can you drop the shaft and engage the CDL to test your theory?

Old 06-04-2016, 01:18 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I've never been able to feel play on my failing driveshafts but I have always heard a squeak.

Is it possible that the balance weight is off of your driveshaft?

What year Disco do you have? Can you drop the shaft and engage the CDL to test your theory?
Unfortunately an 03'

Old 06-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by PDX Disco II
Unfortunately an 03'
Oh dear. No CDL. Hmph.

I guess it could be tire balance but 30 mph seems too low a speed to feel any vibration. Mine did at 30 but only after sitting five years and the tires had developed flat spots.

Almost surely driveshaft unless your ball joints suddenly decided to go really, really, bad.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 06-04-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:23 PM
4wd Low

Just had the wheels balanced and aligned... Seemed to have fixing the issue. I must have thrown a weight or two recently and I'm assuming that's what caused it.

Thanks for the advice